Dead FM review by Strike Anywhere

• Released: Jun 7, 2006
Strike Anywhere: Dead FM

My initial impression was fairly good. On the surface, strike anywhere seems like just your average band, but their passion and creativity makes them stand out. The basis is punk rock/hardcore with melody, but they mix in hints of classic rock and folk for a memorable experience.

Brilliant. While they may not be ambiguious, like AFI, their real strength lies in their ability to mix the personal with the political. The opening track deals with the singer's grandfather's involvement in the manhattan project, and why that caused both the singer and his father to be born with birth defects. And, speaking of which, the singers voice is amazing, even for someone who wasn't born with a cleft lip and other deformities (said birth defects). The whole hardcore screaming effect is not lost in his case. he knows when and how to balance it out with his great singing.

It definetly holds up amongst other bands of their genre (Rise Against, Death By stereo, Paint It Black, Against Me!) I would have to say my favorite tracks are: How To Pray, Prisoner Echoes, Instinct, and Hollywood Cemetery. What I loved was the passion and intelligence that everyone in the band exerted. The only real downside what that on first impression, the songs don't have much diversity. however, on a closer listen they have individual traits. If it were stolen or lost, I'd definetly buy it again, albeit pissed.

Jau_Peacecraft
    This album is randomly terrible until the 7th track; tracks 1 - 6 are the usual "upbeat" sounding hardcore punk that Strike Anywhere have done before, but in fewer amount & better quality on superior albums (exit english & chrous of one). Even the songs after track 7 sometimes delve into fairly generic riffs that anyone band could've done, which makes me shake my head at the band that made "To The World", "Modern Life", & "Detonation". However, there are a few good tracks on here track 7 & beyond, so I would highly suggest just getting tracks 7 through 15 (15 being the bonus itunes track), & making Dead FM the more focused (compared to the poppy dreck of the first half of this album) cousin of Chrous of One mini-album it could've been. I'm willing to forgive Strike Anywhere for stumbling like this, however, but another mistake like this will delegate Strike to the failing status of other once hardcore punk bands (Rise against definitely comes to mind, who have been taking regular Snuggle sessions since their excellent 2nd album outing). Notable Tracks: Two Thousand Hours, Allies, & Dead Hours.