Life Through A Window Review

Structures: Life Through A Window
Released: May 12, 2014
Genre: Progressive Metalcore, Djent
Label: Sumerian Records
"Life Through a Window" marks Structures, or Struc/tures second full-length album signed to Sumerian Records. First, and foremost, they acquired a new lead vocalist, and he is definitely a solid replacement.
 5.9
 5.7
 6.1
review (1) pictures (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Life Through A Window Reviewed by: vppark2, on may 13, 2015

Sound: "Life Through a Window" marks Structures, or Struc/tures second full-length album signed to Sumerian Records. First, and foremost, they acquired a new lead vocalist. He is definitely a solid replacement. He has very good vocal power, but in the end he has basically the same exact technique as say Austin Carlile, who literally does vocal fries throughout all of the songs (not so much on Of Mice & Men's latest album, as his voice is basically shot). So basically there's no in between. No mids or lows, so it gets very redundant listening to this after awhile. I thought Structures old vocalist was mediocre, but I think he may be better than the new guy here. Instrumentally, the whole band has stepped up a mega ton. Before, they just sounded like another Meshuggah wannabe band, but now they've changed it up quite a bit so they're not just djenting it the whole entire time. // 6

Lyrics: Lyrically, there really wasn't much on here that impressed me, but "The Worst of Both Worlds" is hands down the best song on the entire album. It's got natural harmonics throughout the whole entire song I believe, along with a cool main riff. The song comes off with some sort of spooky vibe it almost seems like. Some other songs on the album play it off well in that aspect, but not nearly as well as this song. It just has that in your face feeling that's cool, and what do ya know, Stray From The Path's very own Drew York makes a great guest appearance to add to that. The chorus is the lyrical highlight in the song. "It's time to let go. Tired of living in a world where reception is low. Don't know your own bones, after years of being trapped in your headphones." Other than that, I think the only other song that has good lyrics is from "Alien." And unfortunately, the vocalist falls victim to being one of those vocalists who needs to have a lyric like "get off your feet and f--king move" (from "Requiem") to insinuate a breakdown coming, and that just comes off as immature. I love the main riff in the song though. // 5

Overall Impression: This album has its moments, but it does get stale after a little while. The new vocalist seems like he has talent, but just doesn't know how to use it, unfortunately. Favorite tracks are "The Worst of Both Worlds," "Requiem," "Alien," "Life Through a Window," and "Buried." In this time of writing this review, Structures have recently called it quits. I wish the best for them and their future endeavors, and hopefully some of them can do other works in music. I wasn't really expecting for them to leave, but I'm sure it's for the better. For fans of Volumes, Meshuggah, and Monuments. // 6

Comments