And We Are Bled Of Color Review

Released: Jun 21, 2005
Label: Maverick
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Metal, Post-Hardcore
With its blend of emo and anger, Canada's insanely hardcore matalic/melodic Stutterfly makes its major-label debut with And We Are Bled of Color.
 9.1
 8.2
reviews (3) 1 comment vote for this album:
And We Are Bled Of Color Reviewed by: UG Team, on june 30, 2005

Sound: It all started in the summer of 1998 when four guys from Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada found out that their hobby can be something serious. Chris Stickney (vocals), Jordan Chase (bass, vocals), Bradyn Byron (guitar, vocals), and Craig Langerud (drums) joined their forces and created what now is called Stutterfly. Their first demo "Hollow," released in 2000, sold over 3,000 copies at their shows alone due to the very successful touring. By the issue of it's LP "Broken In Pieces" in 2002, which received much credit, the band managed to make a brand of nu-metal and post-hardcore type of music. Later they and later re-released it on the bands' own label, The Elysien Project. As it often happens after the first success, the cast of the band has changed a little with the addition of a second guitarist -- Jason Ciolli in 2003 and the change of drummer in 2004 -? since then and till nowdays Ryan Loerke is in charge of the drums. The band was still touring very extensively all thought US and Canada, which helped them to reach number one on mp3.com in their genre and stay in the top 10 for over a year, having received 200,000 plays. Los Angeles based Freeze Management helped them to sign a contract with Madonna's Maverick Records in the summer 2003 and the guys immediately hopped on tour with fellow labelmates Story of the Year. Stutterfly's first full-length record "And We Are The Bled Of Color," which was out on the 21 of June 2005, is the result of their collaboration with producer Ulrich Wild (Deftones, Taproot, Bleeding Through). Currently they're supporting the new album with what they do best -- touring through the US. The new album is definitely not breaking any new ground, plus just about half of the songs on the CD are redones from their previous release. The biggest song on the LP was "Gun In Hand." The new version is much softer and totally different and it is the first single from the new album. The whole music changed as much as this song ?- almost all screamo vocals are faced to the background and everything became softer in general. The band had made an attempt to soften a little bit their metal sound and add some melody to it, stuffing it with multiple vocals and tuneful choruses, still leaving the intense screaming, hard-hitting drums and driving guitars that bring to mind the soaring metal breaks of the mid-'80s. // 6

Lyrics: They are surprisingly fine. Nothing too exciting, but well done -? transparent with the obvious meaning, songs are about eternal subjects with a dark shadow ?- death, fallen angels, disappointment in life and unjustified hopes. Some of them are very melodically sang, some are screamed (though mostly you can only guess what he's screaming). Chris definitely has a very melodic voice, though for this type of band I wish it was a bit rougher and stronger. // 6

Overall Impression: It is very easy to become a "Stutterfly" fan if you're under a certain age -? you're in your early teens, feeling like the whole world is against you, the only girlfriend you ever had just dumped you, you are just discovering the real world and it turns out to be much darker, then the world of angels and fairies you used to live in. You'll love "Stutterfly" for one simple reason ?- they understand. Probably if I was in that age, I would feel like this band is something very cool. Unfortunately, I'm a very pragmatic 20-something-year-old girl and I'm not very excited about the record. To be honest with you, I forced myself to listen to the end of it. Even though "And We Are Bled Of Color" is done much better, then it's indie predecessor, it is still very raw. Seems like they've got everything it takes on the album, but in general and each part individually is half-done. Drums are quite hard and I like most of drum parts, but they're not very distinct and there are no drum solos worth listening to. The vocals are pretty weak -- they need more smoke and much more Jack Daniels and, I guess, some years of practice too. There are some multiple vocals on the record, but they are not very clear and therefore sound like a slush. The rock distortion guitar sounds right in here, but it's the same in every song, which sounds very annoying by the 3th song. None of the musical or vocal parts have much strength. Most of the time every next song sounds like the previous one and the songs' structures are ridiculously predictable in most songs. The album with such mediocre songs would save a break in form somewhere after the third song, but the salvation comes too late, being the 12th track -- a slow and soft "Life's Disease." // 4

And We Are Bled Of Color Reviewed by: fallensk8er, on july 05, 2005

Sound: Stutterfly is one of my favorite bands out there. And We Are Bled Of Color is awsome. Their sound can be soft and whispery at times but can be loud and scream at times. Their sounds of softness and loudness mix together so perfectly. The version of "Gun In Hand" on the record is ok, but the version that was on the vans warped tour 2004 CD was better. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics go together very nicely. The singers skills are amazing. I think his whispering sounding voice is very soothing but I admit it can be annoying at times. // 8

Overall Impression: Stutterly in my opinion one of the best bands out there. My top 3 songs on the albumn are "Gun In Hand," "Fire Whispers," and "Bury Me(The Scarlet Path)." If this CD was broken in a freak accident, I would deffinetly buy another one. I recomend this CD to anyone that wants good music. // 10

And We Are Bled Of Color Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 11, 2005

Sound: Amazing sound! This is my favorite band of all time. The sound is haunting and it with creepy whisper and guitar riffs to heavy hard hitting, and intense screaming, that will live you breathless. The singer's voice is like heaven, it's so amazing. These guys need to be more heard, 'cause if they were, they could rule the world. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are awesome, they honeslty helped me through some tough s--t, they can be hard to get when you are listening to, but if you actually read them you will be blown away "severed fragments of my being, peiced together give life meaning, fragile quilt of faded memorys torn apart by lifes disease, again I will cry, all is a lie." // 10

Overall Impression: Can't even explain it, I bought 2 copys of it 'cause I I knew I'd love it enough to have a copy playing wherever I am. Check them out. // 10

Comments