40oz. To Freedom review by Sublime

• Released: Jan 1, 1992
Sublime: 40oz. To Freedom

The styles on this record are mostly ska and reggae inspired songs, but there are a few punk rock and thrash tunes as well. The sound quality is not the greatest, but this is to be expected, as this was a low-budget album. The music is fantastic and original, though, so you don't really notice that much. I like it because the bass really stands out, but doesn't drown out the excellent guitar playing of Brad Nowell (RIP). A really good balance of instruments, and an overall great sound.

As is characteristic of Sublime, the lyrics aren't really deep and menaingful, but they reflect the life that this band lived. A hard playing, hard-partying one. Lots of tunes about drugs, sex, and havin' a good time. They may not be deep, but they aren't trying to be. They fit the music well, and don't seem out of place.

This is a great album by a great band. Maybe not quite as good as their self titled, but still excellent. If it was stolen, I would definately buy it again. A definate must buy, but I suggest buying "Sublime" if you are just getting into the band. The best songs are "40 Oz To Freedom," "New Thrash," "Date Rape," "Hope" and "We're All Gonna Die For Our Arrogance." A great album by a great band. RIP Brad.

TheOneWithAGun
    I'd say this was Sublime's best and most original album. Their self-titled may have went multi-platinum but 40 oz. is the most unique blend of music I've ever heard, with influences of reggae, punk, hip-hop, funk, and dancehall. The lyrics are indeed "funky fresh" as the late, great frontman Brad Nowell would say, and Brad flows brilliantly over his own dazzling guitar work and Eric Wilson's steady pumpin' on the bass. This album changed the Southern California music scene forever, and in fact started the whole American reggae upsurge. You can hear Sublime's reggae/ska influence in several mainstream bands like Slightly Stoopid, 311 and No Doubt, and countless (I mean thousands upon thousands!) underground acts have tried to duplicate the sound in their own way. One of the most influential albums of the 1990's and one of the most underrated albums in all of history. Best songs - "Badfish", "We're Only Gunna Die From Our Own Arrogance", "DJs", "Scarlett Begonias", and the namesake of the album "40 oz. to Freedom". A true masterpiece, 10 out of 10.
    chiloclassic
    This is just my opinion, but I think "Waiting For My Ruca" should be up there as one of the best songs in this album. It's one of the more chilled and laid back songs on the album, but you can sit there and listen to it over and over.