Robbin' The Hood review by Sublime

• Released: Jan 1, 1994
Sublime: Robbin' The Hood

The sound on this album is very experimental. There are quite a few random dubs on this CD that don't really add to the album at all, but the songs that are actually songs are brilliant. Some of Sublime's most infectious songs are on this album, and it is completely worth it for the great songs. The only problem I had was, as mentioned above, the random dubs and Soliloquys by some weirdo. they did not really add to the album. However, the songs that count are some of my favorites by Sublime and make it completely worthwile.

The lyrics are really good. There are more heartfelt lyrics on this album, such as "Poolshark" that deals with Brads struggle with his heroin addiction. However, fear not, as there are some classic Sublime songs where the lyrics are not deep and meaningful and are about Sublime's life and such. All of the lyrics fit the music really well, though. Brad Nowell's delivery is amazing as usual. He is truely one of the greatest vocalists of our time RIP.

This is a great album. Maybe not quite as good as 40 Oz., but it isn't trying to be. It is a lot more experimental. It has it's own place in the Sublime library, but is a must own for any Sublime fan. The random unnecessary tracks do piss me off a bit, but it is a minor annoyance. It if were stolen, I would definately buy it again. Definately a must have in a Sublime collection.

TheOneWithAGun
    I personally don't mind the experimental dubs or the ramblings of the much-deranged Raleigh. If I had unique recordings of that insane-ass bastard I'd put on my album too. As far as the music goes, it's the least of their three albums but it still has its bright spots, and is still a lot better than any of that generic emo/punk shit that's being played today. At least with Sublime you know you're getting completely original music, not just more of the same shit everyone else is playing. "STP" is cool, "Work that We Do" is cool, "Poolshark" is cool but tragically foreshadowing, the dubs are pretty cool all in all, and "Saw Red" is a kick-ass collab with Gwen Stefani.
    fendercobain87
    guitar work was great but 40.0z to freedom was better but you can't complain sublime was just great this album was good .