Sublime Review

Sublime: Sublime
Released: July 1996
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Punk Revival, Third Wave Ska Revival, Ska-Punk
Sublime sags when the band delves too deeply into their dub aspirations or when their lyrics slide into smirking humor.
 Lyrics: 9.7
 9.5
 9.8
 9.2
Sublime Reviewed by: pocallaghan2002, on may 09, 2005

Sound: The sound on this record is great. Sublime's unique style really shines through on this album. The songs are quite varied, from punk rock thrash tunes to calm, reggae-inspired ones. Sublime is one of the most seminal bands of our generation, and it is a tragedy that Brad Nowell is no longer with us to continue producing such unique sounding music. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are not trying to be anything deep or meaningful, and that's why I like them. Brad sings about his dog, life in So-Cal, and drugs. It is basically his final diary. The lyrics really fit the songs well, and Brads voice does a great job of delivering the lyrics to the listener. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of my favorite albums ever. If it was lost, I would definately buy it again. It is Sublime's best album, and if they had been around longer, they could have produced more masterpieces like this one. The best songs are "Same In The End," "What I Got," "Santeria," "Caress Me Down," "Seed" and "Paddle out," but all of them are good. Brad has a great voice and is an amazing guitarist. This is a great Cd for people who just started listening to Sublime. // 10

Sublime Reviewed by: mooretsu, on january 24, 2005

Sound: I love the variety that this CD offers. Ska, Raggae, Punk are here. And done well. Bradley has a melodious voice that fits into a range of tempos and styles, from the smooth remake "Doin' Time" to the fast-paced "Same In The End." There's so much to the "Sound" of this album that I can't put into words - you simply have to listen to it yourself. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are original and are never out of place. "Caress Me Down" and "Santeria" are two examples of excellent lyrics that match the played music very well. They also say what they want and not what people want to hear. As I shortly described in "Sound," Bradley Nowell (their lead singer) is a very talented singer. To truly hear his talents, you should look at "Bradley Nowell & Friends," Sublime's acoustic album. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion, this is Sublime's best album. Here you can see their musical genius. It really is a shame that Nowell died so prematurely I believe he would've matured even further and became a prominent musician through Sublime. Things would be different. I have listened to this CD through-and-through hundreds of times and it hasn't gotten old yet. I love it because it is Sublime. If it got jacked, I would buy it again and again. // 10

Sublime Reviewed by: DownInAHole., on november 25, 2006

Sound: This is my review of Sublime's self-titled album. It was released in 1996, just days after frontman Brad Nowell died of a heroin overdose. In a bittersweet twist, this album was the most successful, memorable, and probably the greatest of Sublime's short career. It's eclectic mix of so many different music styles (chief among them are rock, punk, dub, reggae, hip-hop, and probably more). Sublime's musicianship here is more than excellent also. Brad Nowell's guitar playing shines more than usual with his solos on "Santeria" and "Seed". At times, they try to be hip-hop and it sort of gets annoying. The thing I love most about the sound is Eric Wilson's bass touch he provides us with. It gives the songs a little more groove. All in all I could say that Sublime's sound on this record is Bob Marley meets Bad Religion. It can be chill, but at the same time they thrash and show the punk side of them. It's a good listen. // 10

Lyrics: In most cases, the lyrics are just narratives that take you on a long ride through Long Beach, California. Nowell's considerable guitar skills and the skills of his bandmates create catchy, groovy, and awesome music to complement the lyrics. As far as vocal ability and talent goes, damn! Brad Nowell could sing very well. There are no complaints there. But, the thing I love most about this band is that they are not fake at all. They write about real situations that can happen to anyone. They write about cheating lovers (Santeria), being lazy (Burritos), or just breaking the law (April 29th 1992). Sometimes the lyrics take a hostile turn and there is indeed some cursing like in "Same In The End." It's all catchy and you will probably know all of the words to each song. It reminds me of a "punk sing-along." // 10

Overall Impression: Needless to say, Brad Nowell never got to see the success in the band he worked so hard to perfect. It may be a bit presumptuous for me to say it, but I think Brad Nowell's death was a greater loss to the music world than Kurt Cobain. I just preferred his style that more fervently, and there's no question as to who the more skilled guitar player was. But even if you're a huge fan of Nirvana (or Ice Cube, Less Than Jake, or NOFX, etc.), this album will still appeal to you. This is one of those albums that you can throw in the CD player during the summer and just kick back and enjoy it's greatness. I doubt I will ever misplace this album seeing as it never leaves my sight. This is definately my favorite in my CD collection and it will be a good addition to yours. I recommend every track on this album equally. I don't think one is better than another. It's all perfect in my mind. // 10

Sublime Reviewed by: im not mental, on june 16, 2004

Sound: This albums sound is very refreshing. There's tons of ska upstroke on guitars, catchy bass, a Jimi Hendrix-style song, acoustics, tons of solos, and nice and dirty punk rock. Each song is unique and stands out a lot. // 10

Lyrics: Bradley Nowell's lyrics are mainly about drugs, sex, playing guitar, and love for his dog Lou. Isn't that original? And his voice is really unique too. It really stands out. // 10

Overall Impression: Brad's death was truly a waste to the world, but if he didn't, this probably wouldn't have been the masterpiece it is today. It wouldn't have been the diary of a broke, drug-addict, punk rock king living in SoCal. My fave songs are Same In The End, What I Got, Garden Grove, Santeria, Seed and April 29, 1992, but the whole album is really amazing. I would go out and buy it again if it was stolen. This is an album that everyone should go and get and have a listen. // 10

Sublime Reviewed by: SkylarK12, on may 23, 2011

Sound: Probably the greatest Ska Punk band in history, Sublime, has created a landmark in music overall. Brad's guitar playing on this record is that of legends. In the song "April 29th, 1992" the ska guitar playing is beautifully mixed with the punk/ anarachial feel of the song. The rhythm section is remarkable! The bass keeps the songs flowing, while the drums lays a beautiful foundation for Brad to work his guitar magic off of. Nowell has created, along with memorable riffs, guitar solos that are unique and have such emotion. The song "Under My Voodoo" gives us an awesome guitar interlude as the intro. This record should be in every music lover's collection. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics by Nowell are influenced from the laid back style of reggae, but in songs like "April 29, 1992" and "Seed" he shows his prove Brad's varying lyrical styles. He is a great lyricist in my opinion, but some would say that he is sort of a joke and deserves to be in with Blink-182 for lyrical depth (songs like "The Blowjob Song" and "What's My Age Again?" aren't exactly deep songs). // 8

Overall Impression: In the end, this record is one of the best out there. If your looking for something break away from the usual AC/DC and Journey classic rock, this is it. Ska Punk blends two of the greatest genres ever and they harmoniously work, in this CD anyway, due to Sublime's amazing musical ability and Brad Nowell's knowledge of Reggae/Ska music. // 10

Sublime Reviewed by: alfredh2ex, on september 21, 2011

Sound: Well first off you can't really classify Sublime's sound if you are a sublime fan you know what I am talking about. It a mixture of reggae, ska, dub, hip-hop, punk rock, and dancehall. Their self titled album is probably not their best but stuff they wanted to put this one out for the label which was their first and only major album. Bradley Nowell lead singer for Sublime actually was a hardcore punk rock fan you can hear it in his music but he kinda took a turn for reggae and dancehall stuff which was good and he basically loved music all types. // 9

Lyrics: Sublime lyrics are crazy good they express what they go through as a band in their lyrics some say its not deep but its heartfelt. They mix their lyrics in with their music like no other band I've ever seen "Santeria" is a good one or "Seed is another. Where they fit in the happy parts with the ska and groovie parts with the bass line and reggae rhythm and jamming out with punk rock. Bradley Nowell singing skills well I'll let you decide that but Bradley Nowell is equal in his style to me to Kurt Cobain. // 10

Overall Impression: "Sublime" you can really compare it to their other albums I wont say their "expiremental" but their music is whole lot of different styles you can say their similar to "Pepper" or "Slightly Stoopid" or "Ballyhoo". List goes on forever. Most impressive songs are "Santeria", "What I Got", "Date Rape", and maybe "Doin Time" also "Wrong Way". I love everything bout the album and Sublime. I hate Brad had to die. Of course I would buy it again. // 10

Comments