Yours Truly review by Sublime With Rome

• Released: Jul 12, 2011
Sublime With Rome: Yours Truly

This is the first studio album from Sublime's new lineup; a solid release with tracks appealing to original fans as well as those with Rome's flair of originality. Sublime is well known for its creative mish-mashing of reggae, ska, punk, rock, hip-hop and even blues. While Sublime With Rome stays true to this sound, "Yours Truly" seems to have diverted away from punk; while there are incredible ska punk tracks such as "Panic" and "My World", the only pure punk track is "Paper Cuts", which has a fantastic breakdown but lack's Brad Nowell's emotion and aggression, possibly leaving fans of his punk work a bit disappointed. The main body of this release is composed of reggae tracks; these are all fantastic. My favourite is You Better Listen, which starts with a dirty guitar riff and eventually reaching a chorus of very nice female vocal harmonies. I also adore "Lovers Rock", a solid reggae track with a well-placed brass section. "Yours Truly" also contains some acoustic rock tracks, such as "PCH" and "Spun", both great tracks which are so enjoyable to listen to. Rome has contributed his own style to Sublime With Rome, pleasing fans old and new.

While the lyrics aren't the strongest point of this album, songs such as "Panic", which I perceive as dealing with the rush that is the human race and how easily relationships between people are broken down, are very well written. Most of the songs have a great lyrical flow, in particular "You Better Listen" which has a great vocal rhythm. At the very least, each song has a relevant set of lyrics. In comparison to Nowell, the differences are evident; while Brad discussed topics such as heroin abuse ("Pool Shark") and broken homes ("Wrong Way"), Rome's preferred topic seems to be relationships ("Lovers Rock", "My World", "PCH", "You Better Listen"). Not that Brad didn't cover that subject at all. Rome is a fantastic singer and although I feel that his voice is not at all suitable for punk, lacking a great deal of aggression, he is great at all of the other styles present on "Yours Truly".

When compared to Sublime's other albums, I feel that this latest release would be on par if there was an extra punk song with a high level of aggression or emotion. Nevertheless, it's a solid release, pumped with reggae-ska-acousticy goodness. I've listened to this album so many times since it was available for streaming on their Facebook page and I can't wait for my preordered album to jump the pond. My favourite songs are "Panic", "Lovers Rock", "My World", "PCH", "Take It Or Leave It", "You Better Listen" and "Spun". I don't like "Paper Cuts"; yes, I know I've whined about a lack of punk tracks but I feel that this track is unnecessary since it doesn't meet my punk requirements. If my copy-to-be is stolen, I'll buy it again; no doubt about that. Overall, an outstanding dbut release.

Jc447
    Loki_37
    Jc447 wrote: Good write up. Nobody comment and say shit like "Rome ruined Sublime" or any of that shit. It's good man. It's all about peace and love.
    I lol'd. But it's very true. I'm yet to hear this, but am cautiously optimistic. I never really saw Brad as Christ's Gift to Man, even if I did love him. As for those complaining about the name and such, it's "Sublime with Rome" to avoid legal action from Brad's family. And they're not really living off their past success - about 80% of people who liked Sublime will hate them for taking the name. The rest will ultimately look at them as a different band. It takes more than one man to make or break a band, and I'm glad they're back playing decent tunes.
    Killmainstream9
    Purcell wrote: GenerationKILL wrote: Great album, I really hope they drop the "with Rome" from their name though. Its not "ACDC with Brian Johnson" or "Alice in Chains with William Duvall" Wished Wiz Khalifa wasn't guesting on the new album, that guy is overrated. I agree with every part of both statements.
    I agree about wiz khalifa, that being said though, he sounded fairly decent on "can you feel it"
    Killmainstream9
    They have to put with rome, for legal reasons
    BOYERxBREAKDOWN
    No one beats Brad but I love Rome. His voice goes just as well with the music. He brings the youth and relevance to the band, if Brad was still alive this record would have been vastly different and most likely for the worse.
    si_turtles
    I was skeptical. It definitely isn't the same without Brad and Lou-Dog. But I'm digging this album for the most part. Minus that Wiz Khalifa track.
    PwnyExpress
    Oh man this album is great. No one will EVER be Brad, but Rome is a pretty ****ing close 2nd. Oh, and we need a Lou-Dog replacement! Dalmatians for everyone!
    Purcell
    I agree with every part of both statements.
    NoFear5454
    I saw these guys a few months back with the Dirty Heads, and I must say I liked it. No one I talked to at that concert said anything like "Rome sucks" or "change the name!!!/!@#!1!". They just enjoyed the music and many of the illegal substances they brought. I didn't expect this album to really be the "same" Sublime, and I think I like it that way. Rome seems to be doing his own thing and having fun with it, without trying to be Brad.
    GenerationKILL
    vjferrara wrote: GenerationKILL wrote: Great album, I really hope they drop the "with Rome" from their name though. Its not "ACDC with Brian Johnson" or "Alice in Chains with William Duvall" Wished Wiz Khalifa wasn't guesting on the new album, that guy is overrated. They can't. Nowell's estate won't let them.
    I know, but its been almost 20 years. The estate of Bradley Nowell needs to get over it.
    vjferrara
    They can't. Nowell's estate won't let them.
    Witezombi3
    The album is alright imo besides the lyrics which feel very repetitive on just about every song 7/10
    YeahKyuss
    Nice review, I've actually come to love the new Sublime with Rome record. At first, like most Sublime fans, I was very skeptical about the abilities Rome Ramirez would have and how he would fit in the Sublime sound. Brad will never be replaced, but Rome's a great second. My favorite track on the album - "Murdera"!
    GenerationKILL
    wicked_hobbit
    Wow..never saw this coming! I remember watching "Panic" on Jimmy Kimmel Live and all my skepticism was gone. Gonna grab this first thing tomorrow.
    Caboose911
    I am fairly impressed with this release! Considering how it's a completely new singer it's very good. Rome does a very good job on most of these tracks but no one ever beats the original Sublime. That's just it lol Very good, very, very good.
    Alex101
    Even though Brad is not singing on this record, I happen to think it's as good as the old Sublime. I've been listening to it since it was streaming on their Facebook page. I'm actually planning on buying the album today.
    coon117
    I wish they would actually use a different name so they're not just living off of their past success.
    jimmyjimbo72
    My hard copy of the album came today! Can't believe the label linked to my review!