Yours Truly review by Sublime With Rome

• Released: Jul 12, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 4.3 Poor
Sublime With Rome: Yours Truly

Sublime With Rome's debut album "Yours Truly" was a major disappointment to me. I was expecting an album that was very similar to the original Sublime and was hoping that Rome Ramirez would be somewhat like Bradley Nowell, and while some may argue with me, when I listened to the CD, I was not reminded of original Sublime. The band's style seemed overly poppy, almost to the point of being bubble-gum. Many people who are more into more mainstream music like pop and hip-hop may like this album, but speaking from my own perspective, this album is just plain bad.

The lyrics of the songs seemed to fit in with what the band was playing and were mostly well written and the lyrics flowed properly. Rome's voice is very soft and while he hits all the notes, it does not feel very personal and it sounds like he is singing someone elses lyrics, that he does not feel connected to. When I listen to a song I like to hear the emotion in a singers voice and Rome just sang the whole album with the same tone.

I am a huge fan of Sublime with Bradley, but the only songs with the same sort of vibe are "Panic" and "Same Old Situation". "Yours Truly" is like if you took the punk out of original Sublime and replaced it with a Top 40 sound. I realize Rome is trying to do his own thing and be original, but I think he should've kept some of that old school punk feel in it. They seemed to try to please both pop fans and Sublime fans. Some Sublime fans may enjoy "Yours Truly" but this one does not. If I lost my copy of this album, I would just go buy another album and pray it is way better than this one. As much as I wanted to like this album, I just couldn't.

mjosephw52
    Killmainstream9 wrote: Purcell wrote: GenerationKILL wrote: Wished Wiz Khalifa wasn't guesting on the new album, that guy is overrated. I agree with every part of both statements. I agree about wiz khalifa, that being said though, he sounded fairly decent on "can you feel it"
    Wiz sucks in his own music and that song. I think Can You Feel It is one of the best songs on the album, and he completely ruined it. However, if you have not gotten the deluxe version, get it. Dynamite is the best song on the entire album and you can only get that and a few acoustic versions of Panic and Lover's Rock with the deluxe version.