Poor Baby Zebra review by Sugar Glyder

• Released: Jul 3, 2009
Sugar Glyder: Poor Baby Zebra

The first track on Sugar Glyder's second full-length is called "The Kicker," but it's during the second song "Handshake Foes" that the Charlotte, NC four-piece's epic rock really kicks in. Their newest album "Poor Baby Zebra," sounds like a shoving match between the Killers, Arcade Fire, and Explosions in the Sky. In fact, Exlposion's tone and wall of post-rock guitar style, group backing vocals and Daniel Howie's passionate vocals (reminiscent of Muse's Matthew Bellamy) color the 12 tracks. Like Muse, Sugar Glyder isn't afriad to break away from the tortured grandeur amd have a little fun. The title track ends the album with a shredding guitar intro and rides a disco bassline worthy of a Franz Ferdinand single. Production-wise, "Poor Baby Zebra" doesn't sound like a typical self-release since it benefits from the co-production of Scapegoat's Kit Walters.

Howie sings with the vein-opening emotion that made emo hot, but without any of the hardcore trappings. The vocals are textured with effects and reverb, enough on some tracks to make even Jim James of My Morning Jacket proud. The lyrics are strong, vivid and paint good mental images. The third song "Blackbeard Has Feelings Too," is a good example of this.

"Poor Baby Zebra" is Sugar Glyder's second full length album. They released "We Cracked the Sky" in 2008 and released a 6 song EP ("The Unsaid and the Obvious") in 2006. Its clear that they are progessing with their music. Their non-stop touring schedule over the last year and a half and playing with bands such as Silversun Pickups, Manchester Orchestra, and Dear and the Headlights has probably had a positive effect on their writing ability and they seem poised to make the jump from an indepedant band into the major label spotlight.

hugh20
    Themidastouch showed me this band, awesome stuff. The singing and songwriting is fantastic.
    Rockinguitar
    Had a Sugar Glider once. Has nothing to do with this, but I'm gonna listen to these guys anyway.
    donotmatthews
    I have know the guys and girl of Sugar Glyder for a long long time. Let me tell you one thing they give great hugs! This is a great album and the previous album was equally great. Check them out on Itunes and check out there tour dates too. They give one of the best live shows I have ever seen in my life! Plus if you go to the show you might just get one of those hugs I was talking about.
    yellowclam
    this band is more than just a comparison to those other well known trendy bands. they are completely unique if you ask me! good review though and great album. hope to see these guys go somewhere!
    bampruitt
    If you haven't been to one of Sugar Glyder's shows you must keep on eye on their tour schedule and mark your calendar to see them! They are electrifying and to meet and talk with them you will be truly blessed. Their music/lyrics are awesome! Never miss a show when they are in Charlotte! Love you guys/and of course gal; Emily