Palm Trees And Power Lines Review

artist: Sugarcult date: 05/27/2005 category: compact discs
Sugarcult: Palm Trees And Power Lines
Released: Apr 13, 2004
Genre: Rock
Tones: Wry, Exuberant, Brash, Rousing, Lively, Reflective, Irreverent, Urgent, Dramatic, Slick
Styles: Punk Revival, Punk-Pop
 7.7
 7.8
 7.6
Palm Trees And Power Lines Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 27, 2004

Sound: They have a very good sound...but I like it when bands take chances with their sound, and no chances were taken here. // 8

Lyrics: Very good, but nothing too special. // 8

Overall Impression: She's The Blade: 4 out of 5. It's a good song, something you would have heard on their last CD. Crying: 4 out of 5. Nice beat, powerful vocals, but still, not much of a change. Memory: 4.5 out of 5. Alright, someting a little different. I can see this song becoming one of those songs someone will hear on the radio and say- "Ooh, i like this song." and they'll know the words, but wont have a clue who its by...very catchy. Worst December: 3 out of 5. Worst song. Seems kind of like a space-filler. Back To California: 5 out of 5. A GREAT slow song by Sugarcult, I didn't think I'd see the day, since the slow songs on their last CD weren't to good. I give them major props for this song. Destination Anywhere: 5 out of 5 (but not as good as Back To California). Very very interesting. Awesome intro, kind of 80's-ish, all-around-good. Champagne: 5 out of 5. You want it, you need it, I cant explain. What You Say: 5 OUT OF 5! This is my personal favorite, although to others it may be just as good as the five of fives, the hardest song on the album, and very fun. Over: 4.5 out of 5. Good. Head Up: 3.5 out of 5. When the song started, and it was only the music was playing, I thought I'd love this song, but as it continues in only goes down hill, not bad, not great. Counting Stars: 4.5 out of 5. Turn your stereo on and lay on your bad and think to this one... Sign Off: 4 out of 5. Creative intro, nice, fine, good. Overall this CD deserves a 4.5, nearly excellent, but not quite. // 10

Palm Trees And Power Lines Reviewed by: Distilla_Queen6, on june 23, 2004

Sound: Every song sounds great on the album. I love Sugarcult. They didn't change that much. Some songs sound similar to the songs on "Start Static" But it's not noticable. I just listened to the cd too many times. But it's a great cd. The sound is wonderful. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are awesome! Also they go with the actual sound of the song. For example "Back To California" and "Sign Off" are real mellow songs so the sound is mellow. And "Champagne" is am upbeat song with upbeat lyrics. The only problem is they reuse lyrics in their songs. They Say "I'm falling Down" in at least two songs. But it's not noticable so it's alright. // 8

Overall Impression: My Overall impression is "Start Static" is a very good album and "Palm Trees And Power Lines" is a very good following album. So I suggest you buy it. You will not be disappointed. I was not. Sugarcult is a very good band. // 10

Palm Trees And Power Lines Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 24, 2004

Sound: The music on this record is awfully simple, repetitive, generic, and uncreative. They don't try anything different than just plain powercords. The intro on destination anywhere is sorta cool but the song blows. Some of the music for these songs I could literally make up in 10 minutes. // 4

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are pretty laughable. They are even worse than simple plan or the all american rejects. How could these guys think that such complete crap could be in a song? Lyrics like "all I wanna do is sit next to you all I ever really need is you". Its just stuff that rhymes. This is not at all emotional music. If they tried to be they failed horribly. I fell that I could definetly write much better lyrics than this trash. Sign Off is one of the biggest failed attemps of an emotional song I have ever heard. // 2

Overall Impression: Look if this band has one good thing about them it's that you could just rock out to their music without paying attention to anything they put into it like lyrics, song structure, etc. I think of these guys as a novelty band meant for party music. This album was a waste of money and it is not worth buying. Go listen to some real music like Rancid, Afi, Blink 182, Weezer, or New Found Glory. Those bands have good lyrics and music. // 4

Palm Trees And Power Lines Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 27, 2005

Sound: OK I'm making this reveiw as a response to the previous one. This CD rocks. The sound is great, yes there are power chord riffs, but with more than decent-sounding (if easy to play) guitar licks. Two guitarists. The music in general just sounds great and deep for a punk band. Like any other loyal music fan, I don't care if the guitar lines are easy 'cause they sound great. One of the best punk bands around. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are impressive, and emotional and happy where needed. The lyrics on memory are the best from the whole album. The singing goes great with the music, the singer can sing and his voice sounds cool. What more can I say. // 10

Overall Impression: If you like bands like Blink 182, Green Day, Simple Plan, any other punk band or even stuff like Finch or Lost Prophets, this album is something worth buying. I personally think its great and I was very impressed when I bought it and listened. The music might be simple but sometimes the best songs are the simple ones, simple is sweet. The best songs are Memory and Champagne. If I lost this album I'd buy it again straight away; and if it was stolen id probably get arrested for manslaughter. // 10

Comments