Controlled By Hatred/Feel Like Shit... Deja Vu Review

artist: Suicidal Tendencies date: 10/16/2007 category: compact discs
Suicidal Tendencies: Controlled By Hatred/Feel Like Shit... Deja Vu
Release Date: 1989
Label: Epic
Genres: American Underground, Hardcore Punk, Punk Metal, Heavy Metal, Thrash, Skatepunk
Originally released between 1987 and 1989 as two separate vinyl EPs, Suicidal Tendencies' Controlled By Hatred and Feel Like Shit... Deja-Vu were eventually combined into one convenient, almost full-length compact disc.
 9.6
 9.2
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Controlled By Hatred/Feel Like Shit... Deja Vu Reviewed by: SuicidalFreak, on october 16, 2007

Sound: Suicidal Tendencies' fourth album "Controlled By Hatred/Feel Like Shit... Deja Vu" picks up where their 1988 seminal major label debut "How Will I Laugh Tomorrow" left off. Not only that, but this was their first release with bassist Robert Trujillo, known for his funky bass styles on the rest of their albums. This record, however, is from they're most thrashy period, although it's not their best work, it's an OK album. It's fast, catchy and thrash with very personal lyrics. "Controlled By Hatred" contains four cover versions of the title track, "Master of No Mercy", "Waking the Dead", and "Choosing My Own Way Of Life", which originally appeared on their 1987 long-out of print album "Widespread Bloodshed/Love Runs Red". No Mercy was guitarist Mike Clark's first band, and frontman Mike Muir replaced No Mercy's original singer sometime in the mid-'80s, before the album was recorded. // 10

Lyrics: I don't see whether the lyrics on this record are really bad or not. They'r very refreshing, as they deal with mental health, skateboarding and social issues far away from what one gets in mainstream metal. The song "How Will I Laugh Tomorrow", is the exact same version as on they're previous album, but it's the video version and we also get a completely non-metal version of the same song. My favorite songs on this record the video version of "How Will I Laugh", "Just Another Love Song", "Feel Like Shit... Deja Vu" and the No Mercy covers "Waking the Dead", "Controlled By Hatred" and "Master Of No Mercy". // 10

Overall Impression: "Controlled By Hatred" is not really the best Suicidal Tendencies album, but still a great record though. If you're a huge fan of Suicidal Tendencies (like me), I recommend you check out this record, or either "Join The Army", "How Will I Laugh Tomorrow", "Lights Camera Revolution" or the self-titled album, if you don't have it yet. I've been a huge fan of this band since I heard their first album back in '83, and what surprises me the most is that the albums they released before this had better production than this album and they wern't really polished. To be honest I think the music and the lyrics are great. What bothers me (the most) is the title containing the word "shit". If the CD copy was lost, I could buy another, but don't worry, I always take good care of my CDs. // 10

Comments