How Will I Laugh Tomorrow When I Can't Even Smile review by Suicidal Tendencies

• Released: Sep 25, 1988
Suicidal Tendencies: How Will I Laugh Tomorrow When I Can't Even Smile

Released a year after Suicidal Tendencies had one hell of a comeback with 1987's "thrasterpiece" "Join the Army", "How Will I Laugh Tomorrow" finally found a signature sound that they would follow for the rest of their career. In my opinion, this album is the most seminal work of Suicidal Tendencies and in a roundabout way, I'm glad they were finally on Epic Records, a label that would actually promote them. The sound on the album is perfect as I thought, like Rocky George and Mike Clark's guitar solos roaring very loud, Bob Heathcote's thrashier or proggier bass solos (like, say, Metallica's Cliff Burton or Testament's Greg Christian) and R.J. Herrera beating his drums like Godzilla stomping out of Tokyo.

The lyrics on this album are the best that frontman Mike Muir and co. have ever written. Some of them are hilarious and some of them are very deep and meaningful. Check out the album's songs like "Trip at the Brain", "Pledge Your Alliegence", "How Will I Laugh", "Suicyco Mania", "If I Don't Wake Up" and "One Too Many Times". Too bad booklet of the CD I have forgot to print out the lyrics to "Suicyco Mania", but it's still a great song, so are "Trip at the Brain" and "How Will I Laugh". Despite some of the lyrics that are either good or bad, Suicidal Tendencies deliver then very powerfully and can make them sounds better than they really are. Some got to do with something society but most of them have to do with hate, struggles and other sorts of things you could think of.

There's nothing bad to say about this album. To any Suicidal Tendencies fans out there, you must check out How Will I Laugh Tomorrow in case you don't have it. It's best Suicidal Tendencies album there is and it's the most solid "thrasterpiece" of the '80s like Excel's "The Joke's on You", Metallica's "Master Of Puppets" or Anthrax's "Among the Living". "How Will I Laugh Tomorrow" was a very interesting album to me and my friends back in old the days and it's hard to believe that the album will be 20 years old next year. If the CD copy was lost, I could buy another, but don't worry, I always take good care of my CDs.

dlowe102
    I wish they followed the sound of this album...the new infectious grooves inspired stuff is crappy