Lights...Camera...Revolution! Review

Suicidal Tendencies: Lights...Camera...Revolution!
Released: Jul 3, 1990
Genre: Thrash metal
Label: Epic
As a Crossover pioneer, Suicidal Tendencies's first albums were a melting pot of Metal and Hardcore Punk.
 8.5
 7.7
 9.2
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Lights...Camera...Revolution! Reviewed by: MXFNCK, on april 02, 2010

Sound: As a Crossover pioneer, ST's first albums were a melting pot of Metal and Hardcore Punk. However, this album (1990) finds Muir & co choosing a more Thrash Metal approach. The songs and lyrics have become more complex, which is immediately noticeable when comparing a song like Lost Again to older anthems such as Possessed to Skate. Also guitarist Rocky George really 'explores the space' on this album. The most popular song on this album, You Can't Bring Me Down, has a real solid intro with wonderful harmonies before bursting loose in one of the few Thrash anthems that got ANY mtv airplay. The production is solid, as is the musicianship on this album. This album clearly indicates that ST had moved from being a gang of angry rebels (which was good as well, IMO) to a musically challenging band. The bass duties are fulfilled by Robert Trujillo (now Metallica), who brings a very funky element to the songs (listen to Send Me Your Money). This makes the album very groovy. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are Suicidal style. Mike Muir is angry: at TV preachers, at the system, at you and at me. The lyrics are quite good and presented in the typical Suicidal kind of way. The biggest surpise, to me, is that some of these song (Alone, Emotion 13) are very emotionally charged, which moves away from the Thrash paradigm that the songs need to be about 'tearing limb from limb'. This is something I really respect, since it is very sincere. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, I consider this album to be a real Thrash landmark. Songs like Bring me Down, Lost Again and Go'n Breakdown are really edgy and groovy. I could really do without the song Lovely, which I find irritating and skip almost every time. But yeah, I'd replace it if stolen. I've had it for a about ten years and still listen to it regularly. // 8

Comments