Suicidal Tendencies review by Suicidal Tendencies

• Released: May 31, 1983

First off, I'm wondering why nobody has reviewed any Suicidal Tendencies albums. I've always loved the sound of an old punk rock album, especially this one. Suicidal Tendencies exploded into the punk scene with this album in 1983, containing their best known track "Institutionalized", which became moderately successful. It also became one of the band's best-selling albums in the history of hardcore music, along with Black Flag's "Damaged" and Bad Religion's "Suffer". The guitar sound on this album rips off the sound of early punk bands like Black Flag, Minor Threat, Dead Kennedys, and others, and Grant Estes' guitar solo on a few tracks sorta compare D.R.I. songs. His guitar sound just blows your mind out!

The lyrics on all songs from this album are fine. Frontman Mike Muir's lyrics could be based on a drug life ("Institutionalized"), serious or un-serious jokes ("I Shot Regan", "I Saw Your Mommy"), war vs. peace ("Two-Sided Politics") or thing's he's just not intrested in ("Suicide's An Alternative"). "Institutionalized" is a great song and I heard it play on the radio a few times. What I find funny about that song is this line, "All I wanted was a pepsi, just one pepsi and she wouldn't give it to me", it sounded like he's very very thirsty.

I've never thought Suicidal Tendencies' self-titled debut could be an influential album. Therefore, it's also a highly recommended album for anyone who is a REAL fan of punk rock like me. Punk music has changed almost everything for me, as well as Suicidal Tendencies. There also lots of great albums you can check out from other than this one, "Join the Army", "How Will I Laugh Tomorrow When I Can't Even Smile Today", "Controlled By Hatred/Feel Like Shit... Deja Vu", "Lights... Camera... Revolution!" and "The Art of Rebellion". "How Will I Laugh" is probably my second favorite Suicidal album. I'm not really into the post-Robert Trujillo stuff though. If I lose my own copy of this album, I'm sure I can buy it again or just download all the songs from the album and burn them onto a blank disc.

KingSquall802
    please be honest on your reviews on Suicidal tendencies, u overrated it. but this is a good punk cd. awesome punk metal band.