No Time To Bleed review by Suicide Silence

• Released: Jun 30, 2009
Suicide Silence: No Time To Bleed

This album is different from the cleansing in almost every way; aside from the obvious difference of using a producer (Machine, which turned out to work really well for them) the lyrics are a little deeper, the guitars and bass don't seem to be written as hastily and have even added solos (some pretty good ones, too) and the drums have been stepped up a notch as well, with more fills, rolls, and overall speed on this album. This album marks the addition of Dan Kenny, (ex-animosity) on bass in place of bodkins. This band has been classified as deathcore and sometimes grindcore. Extremely heavy, sometimes fast, 7-and 8-string guitars tuned low and the vocals include some of the lowest lows, shrieking highs and strong mids out there.

Mitch has always had one hell of a powerful voice on the album, his dynamic between highs, mids, lows and back up the spectrum is pretty much mastered. His style is more based around the sound of his screams against the backdrop of the music. His lyrics usually challenge religion and any thing he sees as weak mindedness. (addiction falls into this category as well...which is weird coming from a band of potheads? oh well.) Something Invisible reminds me of unanswered on their previous album ("as long as I can remember you've always been this miserable, and its all because youre still believing in something invisible.") The last track, Disengage, is actually a little more positive. ("just be glad you know, you know what life is.") The lyrical style hasn't changed too much in my opinion, but it is still a perfect fit for the band and shows that Mitch can still deliver the voice he's known for and delve a little deeper in to his mind that anti-religious sentiments.

I preordered this album the first day it was available. I love and respect this band, and this record reaching no. 32 on the billboard 200 is a testament to how these guys are good enough for this generation to actually buy music. My favorite songs on this album are Suffer, Disengage, Wake Up and Smoke. I love that Mark is working in some solos now, and Alex has really stepped up on drums. I would for sure buy this album again if I had to. The only drawbacks to this album in my opinion is that the lyrical content didn't vary too much from song to song. Other than that, the use of effects and a solid production and recording team has upped the production value of this album.

john5666
    Bollocks... type in suicide silence live on youtube, he sounds exactly the same apart from his lows arent quite as low
    Cafas
    Did you ever notice that when you disagree with scene kids, they try to come up with a million different arguments for why you don't 'get' metal, or like 'old 80s metal'? Jesus Christ, never mind the irony of a Suicide Silence fan telling you you don't get the genre, it gets worse when they tell you to listen to other kinds of music. You don't get that Suicide Silence are being bashed because they're everything bad about metal personified? If they actually incorporated some unique sounds, the so called close minded metalheads might actually take notice. Homogenized music for homogenized fans.
    HxC Cody
    They are amazing!!! there guitar riffs can shatter glass and there lyrics are just genius, This has to be there hardest album to date!
    breakdownkid784
    yell0hfrend wrote: kellen.dobmeier wrote: Yeah dude I'm pretty sure that Whitechapels vocals are COMPLETELY fake; the only vocalist that I know of that can growl that low is Chris Barnes. Not to say that they aren't a good band, they are. Just fake vocals is all. And as for the new SS album, well.... It's deathcore. I'll just say that. -Phil's vocals, however, don't sound nearly as fake and processed as Mitch's. You gotta at least admit that. Also, in his live performances, Phil at least sounds very close to the recording whereas Mitch doesn't sound a thing close to SS's recordings. Yes, this album is deathcore, but it's very shitty compared to Whitechapel's "The Somatic Defilement" or "This is Exile" go and actually go whitechapel live, you'll be amazed at how not fake phils vocals are.
    Phil's vocals are bad ass live. Much like the records. Mitch doesnt do as good, mostly with the lows when he's live. but I feel like SS has a better live show, where Mitch lacks vocal talent, he makes up with pure energy and crowd involvement.
    breakdownkid784
    I personally liked the Cleansing more, this just wasn't as brutal and intense with energy. The production sound wasnt as heavy and crushing like The Cleansing. and, Mitch has great range for vocals. Him and Phil Bozeman (Whitechapel) are my favorite vocalists in this genre. Now agreed that even tho Mitch shows great range on records, its not as well displayed live, where as Phil dominates there. You can watch him on Youtube recording A New Era of Corruption's vocals and how good he is. But I enjoy listening to Mitch more. Phil can go lower and his highs are intense, but Mitch just has a better sounding voice I guess. idk, its all opinion.
    yell0hfrend
    eternal_Lord
    Fender700 wrote: The album was tracked using an 8-string Ibanez on behalf of mark (Im not sure whether or not garza used one as well). ^Uhm, yeah in ONE PART of ONE EFFING SONG. ...And then she bled (2:30-2:50) All of that boasting with it in the studio videos and mark plays it ONCE in one song. Not only did this dissapoint me but it made me realize that he obviously shouldnt be holding it if all he can play with it is DUN DUN, DUN DUN. Gay. altered arpeggios and meshuggah-like rhythms to be present. ^ somebody PLEASE tell me he didnt compare SS to Meshuggah...Mark cant even play the damn 8 string
    I believe what i said was "it would be ridiculous to expect suicide silence to incorperate meshuggah-like rhythms in their music" or something to that effect. Read before you comment.
    Fender700
    altered arpeggios and meshuggah-like rhythms to be present.
    Veil of Lies
    alanaxxhxc wrote: I love Suicide Silence, but the majority of No Time to Bleed is awful. The only thing that impressed me was more technicality on this cd. Other than that, I was very dissapointed.
    I agree. The Cleansing was way more legitimate than No Time to Bleed.
    samlocke14
    ill be that guy.... i love this album, sure its generic deathcore but it works for them and its catchy as all hell nothing amazing but it gets a good thrashing in my car.
    Veil of Lies
    Just for the dumb ass that said Mitch Lukers death growl sounded fake. He cups his hands around the mic so that the sound bounces off of his hands, making the growl resonate, thus making it sound lower. I bet you my left testicle the dude from Whitechapel does it too. By the way, if you don't like deathcore, no body asked your ****ing opinion. Stop looking for 'core' bands just so you can bag on them. To the douche bag above me, that goes double for you. At least give a decent arguement. This guy at least has a point and listened to them at one time.
    Moralless wrote: The second I heard SS rip off belay My last, I lost all faith in the album. Suicide Silence is a pretty decent band with some decent parts, but I often wonder how they got as big as they are. Bands like Oceano, Whitechapel, Burning the Masses, etc give deathcore a proud name. Suicide Silence just attracts too many wannabe scene kids. I would give this cd a 4/10
    fearnothingveno
    I like the cleansings voice more, This albums vocals were more laid back it seemed to me. I love this album nonetheless
    dementiacaptain
    this album seems more interesting to me than the cleansing. but i would like to say that all these bands doin sweeps really is starting to get ridiculous. they just sound pathetic.
    suicideseason91
    love suicide silence! good overall band, the chemestry that they have together is amazing and you can hardly find that in a band now a days, they are what a band should be..all about the music!, they are amazing live, they dont sell out, there just there to play some kick ass metal and bang there heads! f*%k all of you that say they suck, you can suck my left testicle, Peace niggas!
    tza
    album was NOT tracked on an 8 string "Yeah, I used an eight-string on one song that isn't on the record but why I used it is exactly why I like the eight-string; you can do whatever you want, tune it however you want, play it how you want, and just have fun with it. I made up a tuning for the song and it is just an ugly dissonant chord that sounds scary."
    bodom alexi
    the album wasn't recorded using an 8 string ibanez it was recorded using an 8 string ESP LTD FM. also an ESP LTD stephen carpenter 7 string which both mark and chris used