The Black Crown review by Suicide Silence

Suicide Silence: The Black Crown

For a number of months I have been awaiting the release of Suicide Silence's most recent effort, "The Black Crown". This deathcore quintet has always been a very solid act in my opinion, becoming interested in what they had to offer ever since I first heard their debut album's hit "Unanswered". Their frantic, blast beat-driven sound with crushing breakdowns shuffled within had initially piqued my interest, and as far as I am concerned has only improved with time. Alex Lopez's drum work has certainly improved and diversified with this new album. Brutal stretches of double bass-heavy drumming are riddled throughout, most prominent in tracks "Smashed" and "Cancerous Skies". But as solid as the drumming may be, it is not very innovative, and the same could be said about the guitar work. Dropped-tuning chugging and blazing riffs remain dominant through the entirety which may not sound like such a bad thing, but by the third track I had almost entirely forgotten how the guitar work of the first track sounded. Not enough of it is memorable. One track that has stayed in the back of my mind is "The Only Thing That Sets Us Apart". Its passages of haunting acoustic guitar really set this track apart (pun intended).

The lyrical composition of Suicide Silence confuses me. The majority of the lyrics on this album are appropriate as far as the tone of the music goes, with angry, aggressive lyrics accompanying their heavy, powerful sound. A passage of "Slaves To Substance" goes as follows: "You're f--king worthless! I'm gonna sit back with my shades on Watching you make all the same mistakes we all went through". However, since lyrics can be interpreted by different people in different ways I won't delve too far into the lyrical themes of various tracks. I figure listeners can make that call for themselves or look at track titles to get a basic idea of what to expect. Now for the part that confuses me. "F--k Everything" and "You Only Live Once" have lyrics so trivial and shallow that I wonder why they were even put in the record. Examples? The former ends with "f--k everything" being shouted 22 times in a row. I don't think I need to elaborate any further. The latter, "You Only Live Once", has lyrics that I would sooner expect to be excerpts from Brokencyde lyrics, and if you understood my disdain for that aforementioned "band" you would understand my concern. A line I particularly dislike, "you only live once, so just go f--king nuts! Go!", instantly ruins the atmosphere of the song for me. Why such silly, upbeat lyrics should be put in a deathcore song is a mystery to me. Mitch Lucker's voice has never sounded better to me. I believe the vocal efforts in this album overshadow any of SS's previous work, in term of effective range and in sounding organic. As far as deathcore and metal go as a total, I think Mitch has good range but can't reach the same brutal lows as heavyweights like Phil Bozeman of Whitechapel or the vocalist of I Declare War. If I had one area for Mitch to improve in vocally, it would be his low growls. Frank Mullen of Suffocation and Jonathan Davis of KoRn lend their vocal talents as well, both contributing to the respective tracks they are featured in in my opinion. In fact, I thought Frank Mullen's powerful growls in the track "Smashed" were a highlight of the album.

I'm going to keep this section brief. I find the most impressive tracks on the album to be "Smashed", "Human Violence" and "Cancerous Skies". Overall, I would say this album is a great improvement over their previous efforts but still has some disappointing tracks. I have very high hopes for whatever Suicide Silence comes up with next as I am optimistic they will learn from their mistakes and come back stronger than ever before. If this CD was lost or stolen I would most likely buy it again, but not absolutely.

Amuro Jay
    ProgJazzMath
    SGofawesome
    I actually think this album is their finest. The vocals improved (not the lyrics though, I will admit). I can actually understand what the guitar is doing in the song, and there isn't blast beats every other measure of the song. It's actually structured music, a movement similar to what Whitechapel did on This is Exile, more importantly on A New Era of Corruption. I just dig instrumentation more than vocals. Besides, no one should really care too much about the lyrical content in deathcore... -It can't be taken seriously; otherwise you have problems. -You can't even understand it until you've listened to it a few times and have read the lyrics.
    ilovesyu
    lol I love how people comment like they are the all knowing person. These guys are successful musicians playing tours and the reason for that is they have lots of fans. So if you don't like it then why the hell comment on it? This is how he felt about the cd so what gives you the right to tell him he is wrong about his opinion?? Suicide Silence while not my favorite band they still have plenty of enjoyable songs and the new cd is not horrible. If its not to your liking then simply ignore it.
    john5666
    Sparda93 wrote: The band is simply awful, 'Unanswered' is a song that says it all, the guitar work doesn`t go over the THIRD FUCKING FRET! Shitty breakdowns, terrible basslines, lyrics and vocals are absolutely rubbish!
    are you really THAT shallow that your willing to say a band is terrible because the guitar work isnt complex???? i'm willing to bet your a guitarist who instantly judges a song because its not hard to play on guitar, sometimes simplicity works the best and 'unanswered' is a prime example, the song is packed with energy and agression and if the guitar work was changed to a more complex style it would ruin the song. aswell as that it does go past the third threat you fool because it hits the 6th fret on the E string. Go listen to steve vai or something because clearly any song that doesnt have a ridiculous solo played by an aviator wearing pretentious prick just doesnt do it for you. honestly i don't really like the new album that much, however insulting a band's previous song's because its 'simple' is pathetic and stupid, as a guitarist you should welcome any style no matter how simple it is. john 5 is an excellent guitarist and look at how simple some of the stuff marilyn manson did in 2000, simple enough for a toddler to pick up quite quickly, would you judge him as a guitarist though?
    ThrashUnleashed
    Suicide Silence is probably the most well known Deathcore band... but I'm not sure that they'll keep that up. They've lost their special-ness, excuse my loss for words.
    BledGhostWhite
    It's hard for me to weigh in on this debate. I love SS, and I guess I'm a bit of a fanboy, but I've always thought they have a very distinct style, even if it can be classified by genre. I will agree that You Only Live Once wasn't their strongest song to date, but there were enough high points here to balance it out. I'll continue to buy their future efforts, and I can't say I didn't like this album. To me, it sounds more matured than NTTB. If they're progressing towards finding their true musical identity, as any band should, I've no problem with their future sound. As for calling them a "fad band"... Fuck that shit.
    Smythe705
    I dont think that Suicide Silence met the expectations of allot of their fans with the black crown. Lyrically, allot of the content is shallow and unimaginative, which is disappointing. However, I did like the trashy and groove elements in songs like O.C.D and human violence, which are probably the most decent songs of the album. Mitch's vocals are pretty solid throughout the album as well.
    SGofawesome
    Not much for deathcore, but I enjoy Suicide Silence. However, Whitechapel's worst songs own Suicide's best songs. Whitechapel just owns.
    fretmaster5000
    improvement my ****ing ass, do us a favor and don't write about genres you have no ****ing clue about
    Mistermetee
    i still think its great! you can't take deathcore seriously or your a ****ing mental patient who needs to seek help. combining dark disturbing themes with slightly sarcastic silly themes works for them and there's no reason for them to change that.
    YARESHBASS
    i thinks the black crown is a pretty dissapointing album, most of the songs are boring if you ask me. From all the songs of the black crown is OCD the best if you ask me. -Excuse me for my bas english, im dutch.
    TheAbsentOne
    Boring deathcore band is boring. It's all the teenagers thinking they're so br00t4lz with all the incoherent screaming and grrrrr-ing.. I want to know when this fad is going to go away.
    Zan595
    Sebastian_M. wrote: ...if you take a look at the tabs od unanswered youll see that your're not right ...i agree its an easy song ...but its not easy at all ...
    Redundancy at its finest.
    grille
    NecropiaJon
    EpiExplorer
    Still rubbish. Enter the fanboys.
    fraberjam
    Deathcore is ****ing lame. These guys are the perfect example of deathcore's immense suck level.
    Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
    Sparda93
    flyboyC17
    EpiExplorer wrote: Spl!nTeRgu!tAr wrote: Suicide Silence has been garbage since The Cleansing. I hate the term "sell out" but it fits here. Theyre the new age Slipknot, except Slippknot took a lot longer to suck Slipknot still have some credibility. Well, its only some, because of a possible new album, and they're an economic power in their own right. Hope there's no cheese this time around though..
    Slipknot still has some credibility....lol nice one
    jman_gibson
    I'm a big fan of SS and they kick ****ing ass. one of my favorite deathcore bands. people who hate shouldnt post. its the dudes views and opinion on this album. i havent bought this album yet but i plan on it. AND even if you dont like this band/genre of music you still have to have respect for them as artists'. you cannt deny that these guys can ****in shred
    merxback
    I like deathcore and such, (mostly technical stuff) and I must say I really don't like this album. Their EP and The Cleansing were probably the prime of this band.. Lyrically, most of this album's a joke. It reminds me of a worse version of NTTB. I'll stick with Chelsea Grin (hopefully their new album won't disappoint) and a few other of my favorites. I will say my musical taste has changed considerably since the last album but I don't think that's the issue, as I still like several deathcore bands.
    bodom alexi
    the_burning_one
    NecropiaJon wrote: What about chelsea grin? They are ****ing 20 times sweeter and brutal than SS! and their music doesnt disapoint me at all!
    1. Why are you bringing up chelsea grin on a suicide silence review? 2. Fuck chelsea grin. I think this album was just generic and uncreative. A couple songs I could groove too, a couple songs I scoff at, and a couple songs I hear and simply shrug. Like most albums.
    LordEarthworm
    bodom alexi wrote: ive only heard slave to substance and you only live once simply because i dont want to listen to the album off of youtube i want to wait till i cn buy it but judging from those two songs they have slowed down their speed and become more chilled in a way but whilst still maintaining the heaviness that suicide silence is about. i really cant judge the whole album since ive only heard those two songs but i think that the lyrics are a bit of a concern i dont need to hear someone say that im ****ing worthless whether it was meant for the someone else or the listener i think the guitar has improved a lot and so have the vocals. i hope when i get the album im not disappointed with it. thank you for this review
    you're welcome. =] and to others, i'm fine with you guys hating on the review and the album, because honestly i wasn't expecting much love considering this was for a deathcore album. it was just a new album and a chance to try out a first review, so thank you all for the feedback.
    YARESHBASS
    Ibeanez wrote: grille wrote: I cant belive he gave lyrcis a 7. The lyrics could be done better from an angry emo boy, who is 15. The music is boring too. This album blows. I think he meant age 7.
    this.
    HxC Cody
    ProgJazzMath wrote: AustinHoag wrote: Suicide Silence is a fad band. They'll break up within the year. Yeah.... agree to disagree. These guys have been together for around ten years at the top of the deathcore scene so they won't be going anywhere for at least another decade. That's my opinion though.
    There all the original guys as well, There not going anywere I just saw them live there still kickin ass in the deathcore scene
    Camron62\m/
    slaves to substance is ****ing bad-ass. i hope these guys remain deathcore and ****ing heavy in the future. and come up with more brutal lyrics, come on, mitch...
    BigRed_420
    Implying the further down the neck you go, the better the song is Love SS, but the lyrics on this album really hold it back. Hopefully they go in the same direction with the music, and a completely different direction with the lyrics on their next effort.
    Jako215
    Im in the same mind set as Mistermetee. I still love SS, you just cant think of them as a band that is going to change so drastically that you will be blown away by what they do.
    Skullshredda
    When I heard "you only live once" and "**** everything" I almost cried out of how awful they were. Luckily, some of the other songs on the album sound reasonable..
    1c9j9s5
    sadly, they probably will. It's too bad though, I actually really liked the way they sounded in their last two albums. This one though is just pathetic. The only good songs are Cancerous Skies and Cross Eyed Catastrophe. But at least the majority of the songs are nowhere near as bad as You Only Live Once and F**k Everything. For one, F**k Everything seems to have this mainstream mentality of songs that any dumbass could write in five minutes, for both the lyrics and the instruments. I will admit that I did like the guitar riff for the verse of You Only Live Once, but everything else about that song is just awful. I really hope SS doesn't go through with this for too long because it'll kill them
    Zelos45
    SS have never been particularly innovative, improving at their respective fields but keeping the style almost exactly the same. It's a good album, but I have to agree the lyrics are awful on "F--k Everything" and "You Only Live Once". I thought the Brokencyde reference was suitable, in my opinion (and the comment about them being a "band"). the lyrics really killed it a bit. I wasn't as excited about this album as much after I heard "You Only Live Once" (their single).
    AustinHoag
    Let me clarify, I enjoyed most of the album "The Cleansing" but when NTTB came out. All respect went out the window, for me at least. They're just making music to fit in now in my opinion.
    Zan595
    I used to really love them. Now, as the review said, the lyrics have become so off on some songs that it's not even listenable.
    Naruto00121
    I didn't like this album. It should have lived up to it's expectations a little more. It's OK but apart from that, it's just really generic and rehashed stuff. The lyrics on most of the songs are really bad and I only recommend it to people that are big fans of the band. That being said, some of the songs on this album like 'Human Violence' and 'OCD' are reasonably good. Apart from that, I don't advise non-fans to buy it.
    guitaristtobe40
    jetfuel495 wrote: EpiExplorer Yes, I've no idea why every single deathcore band lyric sheet I've read have exactly those kind of lyrics. read better lyrics then, not ones written by singers with the mentality of five year olds.
    Sebastian_M.
    Sparda93 ...if you take a look at the tabs od unanswered youll see that your're not right ...i agree its an easy song ...but its not easy at all ... take a look at songs like wake up ur bludgeoned to death ...there are some realy tricky technical riffs ... i think the new album is great ...i love the jonathan davis featuring....!! ..MY OPINION!