The Cleansing review by Suicide Silence

• Released: Sep 18, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Suicide Silence: The Cleansing

Does this sound like something new or special? Really? Because everyone says so! The answer is a giant no, this has been done a thousand times before! But that's the problem with death metal, it has already been done! Not saying that there is nothing new on this record, some small experimenting has been performed with small steady steps. 01. Revelations (Intro): This is just a little intro, packed with screams, feedback and all the cliques. But try to listen to this at night while staring at the cover! Scary? I thought so. 02. Unanswered: Here starts the mayhem, chuggy riffs, tremolo picking and cookie monster growls. This is standard death metal by the book. The thing that irritates me with this track is the unoriginal screams of "where is your god!" Its used, its lame and makes me pissed. Its a shame, as the rest of the lyrics is pretty good. 03. Hands Of A Killer: Starts with a riff that repeats pretty many times through the song, I can even call it memorable! Contains a crushing breakdown. 04. The Price Of Beauty: The pinch harmonics, the fast-paced rhythm. This is a pretty average death song. A not very good breakdown at the last parts of the song, but the ending is awesome. Creds for actually being able to hear the lyrics sometimes. 05. The Fallen: This is the first GOOD song. Of course it has got breakdowns, but the ringing guitar parts marks the beginning of the album's experimentation I talked about earlier. The lyrics is not as well done as on the first tracks though. 06. No Pity For A Coward: Now we're talking here. Above average first half, Awesome lyrics at the end, and melodic, slow sweeping guitar! Way to go SS! 07. The Disease: What happened? Get some inspiration, you're lacking originality again! We have heard this on all the former tracks, next! 08. Bludgeoned To Death: Back on track. From snail-paced riffing to ADHD-fast rhythms, this song has got it all. That includes the most bad-ass, motherf--king sentence in all time death metal. "The doctors wont be able to recognise your f--king face!" Got something more awesome? Mail me. 09. Girl Of Glass: BOOOOOOORING! Can I hear bludgeoned to death one more time please? At least the lyrics seems thought out. 10. In A Photograph: I think the whole album is tuned in the same tuning, still this song sounds heavier than the others! Nice work guys. But still The song quickly gets tedious. 11. Eyes Sewn Shut: OK song, but I prefer to get raped by elephants. Go Torsof--k! You should check out their lyrics! 12. Green Monster: This is the longest song on the album, so I thought there was gonna be some sort of experimentation here. Wrong! Its just another average song! Wait, there is a light in the end of the tunnel. There IS some sort of experimentation! Its not all fail then... Wrong again! Its a 2 minute long feedback! Oh, the sorrow. 13. A Dead Current: Another song. Not interesting except for some sweepings in the middle. I'm about to take this CD off! 14. Destruction Of A Statue: Ending on some sort of a decent track, Destruction of a statue is the only song from the suicide silence EP. It suddenly breaks out into a riff more familiar to melodic death metal or metalcore. This is an OK listen.

Suicide silence are good at writing lyrics, but the standards are lowered at the end it seems. Bludgeoned to death contains a f--king hilarious sentence and no pity for a coward's got pretty nice'n'violent lyrics too. Mitch Lucker has got a good vocal range, but I'm missing the pig squeals. The lyrics at least fits the music!

It has got a darn gross cover, which is a plus. No pity for a coward, the fallen and bludgeoned to death are the best songs as the others pretty much are average. This songs fits well for any deathmetal-only fan but for someone who wants something new, this is an advice. Stay away! Listen to the best tracks, but the other ones are of no interest to you. Better luck next time SS.

happygoth
    ninjagayden777 wrote: Drezzdez wrote: PranksterX wrote: this album is alright and i agree with jonasbros. It does get boring after a while SUICIDE SILENCE NEVER GET BORING I beg to differ. I got this for free with an UnderOath t-shirt at Hot Topic, and I seriously considered asking if they'd take it back!The same sloppy riffs over and over again, generic moody (and sometimes lol funny) lyrics,and terrible bellowing made this the worst album I've heard since U2's last one. If you want good metalcore try Morbid Angel or Heaven Shall Burn.
    um...there is only one thing to say to you... DUMBASS!!!!! DI YOU NOT NOTICE THAT ALL THE REVIEWS SAID DEATH CORE????? REALLY BG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE GENRES IF YOU ASK ME!!!!!
    nuclearrootbeer
    Echoplex wrote: Emo Deathcore?
    you're thinking of bring me the horizon. this is just plain sucky deathcore
    john5666
    breakdownkid784 wrote: I dont know why everyone is hating on Deathcore music nowadays? Wanna respond and tell me? Cuz I love it. Metalcore is good but not brutal enough and Death Metal is just like, too much, I guess. I can't listen to Cannibal Corpse, that band sucks so bad I cant even describe. Black and Death are just too indistinguishable from the lyrical delivery to the constant palm muting rage. But..... This album is my favorite Deathcore album and is Suicide Silence's best one by far. The Production sound is abolutely crushing on the low end, very chunky and hard hitting, much like Acacia Strain's "Wormwood" album. The second half of the album isnt as memorable as the first, minus Bludgeoned to Death, Green Monster and Destruction of A Statue, but the album is something to just go crazy for in the pit. They dominate during their live show so pick this up and go see them on tour.
    i know exactly what you mean listen to 'make them suffer' by cannibal corpse, the solo is stupid and quite clearly made up on the spot, i wont say much about 'the cleansing' or 'no time to bleed' but you only have to type in 'suicide silence live' on youtube and you will see why suicide silence are an incredible band, their live performances have clearly been practiced nearly to the point of perfection, mitch sounds perfect live and the band are pretty much perfectly on cue at al times i love suicide silence
    breakdownkid784
    ^SiVART^
    Amazing Album And im pretty sure whoever wrote the most recent review only cared about the ----ing lyrics!
    ProgJazzMath
    Loved The EP they put out way back in the day with the original Bludgeoned to Death. It had the Family Guy intro. That's old school. Newer stuff is very lackluster.
    -tempest-
    why does this band still try, they should break up or something. that would be cool
    ScorianVaseras
    Sorry boys, Suicide Silence isn't diverse or technical. Unfortunately, they're not even tight. Shame, really. Some of the ideas in their new album could have gone somewhere, but poor guitar skills and an appalling drummer made them fall far short of their intended target
    r0ckth3d34n
    nuclearrootbeer wrote: Echoplex wrote: Emo Deathcore? you're thinking of bring me the horizon. this is just plain sucky deathcore
    Both bands are just pure noise. I swear their goal is to see how much noise they can put into a microphone at any given moment...
    jonathan_5150
    wezoweez wrote: i saw them live with megadeth. horrible show...it all sounds the same... boring riff breakdown another boring riff.....deathcore in general sucks
    i agree 100%, and i did the same thing. went to see a kickass megadeth show, and had to endure this pathetic excuse for a band for about 40 minutes. it was awful. and you know what the worst part was? after suicide silence got off, their 7 or so fans that were doing a really gay style of moshing just left. didn't stay for the band with extreme talent... megadeth. the ****?
    krvolok
    EpiExplorer wrote: LULZ, I slipped into a coma.
    In that universe you are a hardened BTBAM fan!
    EpiExplorer
    krvolok wrote: Does this sound like something new or special? Really? Because everyone says so! The answer is a giant no, this has been done a thousand times before! But that's the problem with death metal, it has already been done! Not saying that there is nothing new on this record, some small experimenting has been performed with small steady steps. 01. Revelations (Intro): This is just a little intro, packed with screams, feedback and all the cliques. But try to listen to this at night while staring at the cover! Scary? I thought so. 02. Unanswered: Here starts the mayhem, chuggy riffs, tremolo picking and cookie monster growls. This is standard death metal by the book. The thing that irritates me with this track is the unoriginal screams of "where is your god!" Its used, its lame and makes me pissed. Its a shame, as the rest of the lyrics is pretty good. Wow...While reading this I slipped into the evil and bearded Star Trek parallel universe.
    LULZ, I slipped into a coma.
    krvolok
    Disturbdkornkid
    This band is garbage and i cant' stand that the scene kids love them because they are teh brootz. Honestly the only band i can trully say is brutal would be Origin because when i listen to them it sounds like everything around me is dying.
    TheAmenCorner89
    Also.... ninjagayden777 wrote: If you want good metalcore try Morbid Angel WHAT DID YOU SAY?!?! [/quote] Yeah I thinking the same thing, what the hell? That's so wrong it's hilarious.
    BwareDWare94
    This band is shit. Fake, under-produced, no-talent absolutely not musical integrity shit.
    SetAbominae6
    This album was alright. Tracks that stood out in my opinion were No Pity For A Coward, Unanswered, Bludgeoned to Death, The Price of Beauty, Green Monster, and Destruction of a Statue. Also....
    ninjagayden777 wrote: If you want good metalcore try Morbid Angel
    WHAT DID YOU SAY?!?!
    FearOfTheDuck
    You don't need to be a fan of the band to reconise that this guy has got one of the best voices in death metal. The only deathcore band i can stand is Despised Icon, they have a really prominent hardcore influence
    thor632
    Suicide Silence wouldn't even exist if Cannibal Corpse didn't help pioneer death metal. And they all have a shit more talent than the guys in Suicide Silence. Learn your roots and respect them.