You Can't Stop Me review by Suicide Silence

• Released: Jul 14, 2014
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Suicide Silence: You Can't Stop Me

Suicide Silence are one of the better-known bands that tout the ambivalence-laden label of deathcore music. With their first two albums, "The Cleansing" and "No Time to Bleed," earning recognizable success on the Billboard charts, the California-based quintet helped put the niche fusion genre on the metal world's radar, for better or for worse. Their third album, "The Black Crown," would achieve even more commercial success, though the responses to the album were mixed: some commended Suicide Silence for attempting to branch out of the narrow and intense deathcore sound, while others felt that taking a step away from that intense sound was a bad call. This squabble would later end up being retired a year later when the tragic news came about that the band's frontman, Mitch Lucker, had died in a motorcycle accident. As fans gave their moments of silence and grieved, they duly felt unease as to the future of Suicide Silence, if there would even be one. After recruiting former All Shall Perish vocalist Eddie Hermida to take Lucker's role, Suicide Silence would not only continue on, but their next work would pay proper tribute to their deceased bandmate; and what better way to do that then to name the album after the last song Lucker had written before his death, "You Can't Stop Me."

Suicide Silence comes out guns blazing in the first two full tracks "Inherit the Crown" and "Cease to Exist," with guitarist Mark Heylmun showing off his chops with some exceptional guitar solos, and drummer Alex Lopez throwing in some well-desired blastbeat here and there. "Sacred Words" takes it down a gear, evoking something more along the lines of melodic metalcore, but the following track, "Control," which features the renowned George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher of Cannibal Corpse, brings the energy back like a twister. However, it's after this point that the album begins to noticeably drag. With the next few songs succumbing to an overdose of guitar chugging and not much else to pique interest (not even the guest vocals by The Dillinger Escape Plan's Greg Puciato is able to redeem "Monster Within"), by the time you reach "We Have All Had Enough," one may be saying the same thing in regards to the album. It's not until "Ending Is the Beginning" that the album gets another breath of fleeting deathcore back in its lungs, but this is because the track is actually a re-recording of a Suicide Silence track from their debut self-titled EP - the fact that a re-recorded classic ends up being more palatable than nearly half of the new material provided on the album says a lot. The final two tracks don't show any more improvement, and while "Ouroboros" attempts some lower-gear, melody-filled sections to fulfill the role as a somber closer, given the decline of the latter half of the album, it instead goes out with a whimper.

suicide Silence waste little time getting into the subject matter about Lucker's death, and as the intro track "M.A.L." pays a wordless tribute to Lucker, "Inherit The Crown" has Hermida screaming a eulogic first verse regarding Lucker and all but directly addressing carrying the torch where Lucker left off. Hermida further flexes his efforts to make Lucker proud in "You Can't Stop Me," which features lyrics written by Lucker; and with the hook containing the chorus "If you're reckless and free, speak up and sing this with me/we're all f--king free," it's all too chilling to know that this ode to reckless abandon would be Lucker's posthumous swan song. While "You Can't Stop Me" is primarily about paying their respects to Lucker, the lyrics throughout the album don't exclusively harp on this one topic, and plenty of other songs on the album are business as usual - though that business is serving up baseless rage-mongering, like in "Cease to Exist," "Warrior" and "We Have All Had Enough." And perhaps it's because these anger-driven lyrics feel so cookie cutter that makes the songs with more positive lyrics the more interesting ones. "Sacred Words" serves as a substantial atheist theme song, which threads the needle between an empowering uplifter and a metal-worthy rager, and "Don't Die" is all about Suicide Silence advocating for the catharsis of their fans, which includes the literal-as-much-as-figurative line "I will show you a pit of redemption," which is surely intended to come in the physical form of a mosh-pit.

"You Can't Stop Me" is a valuable album for Suicide Silence. Clearly being the dedicated sendoff for their deceased bandmate, even the title alone is remarkably equivocal: it puts Lucker's final written sentiments front and center, it describes the band's refusal to be put into early retirement after the tragedy (Lucker would probably want the band to keep going), and it also addresses those that were put off by the previous album, "The Black Crown" (though that seems to be a miniscule interpretation in comparison). However, musically speaking, it's not up to snuff. The album shows promise in the first 15 minutes, and it's an uptick from "The Black Crown," but it doesn't reinitiate the raw power of Suicide Silence's early work- the work that wielded the boisterous vigor that branded them as "deathcore," let alone a deathcore band worth keeping an eye on - nor does it fill that void with anything new and interesting. And with this year unofficially being the "year of deathcore," which has brought forth solid records from other notable deathcore bands like Carnifex, Whitechapel, and Chelsea Grin, "You Can't Stop Me" unfortunately pales in comparison.

grizzzzly_adams
    Couldn't get into this, but not because it sounded bad. I'm burnt out of this genre but would absolutely catch the live. But, I just want to point out that I think this is their weakest album art to date. (I'm very into album art)
    N-D
    Not speaking about music itself (it's quite good for deathcore genre) - but for me when band changes vocalist - it becomes just another band, and continuing under the same name is quite strange. Of course, continuing to play music is a good thing for remaining bandmembers, and paying tribute to Mitch at least in album's title is good too. But when vocalist is also a frontman and a lyricist, he creates essential part of the band - and without him band will be absolutely different. So I think it will be better for guys to change band's name (for example, like As I Lay Dying without Tim Lambesis became Wovenwar now) - and it will be much greater respect to Mitch Lurker.
    BwareDWare94
    Wovenwar is a completely separate group, though. It's not meant to be As I Lay Dying with a new vocalist. It's a scenario similar to how Tremonti, Phillips, and Marshall wanted nothing to do with Scott Stapp, but still wanted to play together. Alter Bridge isn't Creed with a different vocalist. Completely separate entity, as is Wovenwar (I still can't get over how shitty that band name is). As for Suicide Silence--they're in the same boat as Alice in Chains, and I don't think anyone could convince me that "Black Gives Way to Blue" and "The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here" aren't AiC records. That's definitely Alice in Chains, and as much as I loved Layne Staley, they're two of the better records in their collection. Bands can definitely continue without their original vocalist. Suicide Silence is doing the same thing.
    VJPaczek74
    Jerry Cantrell was/is arguably the most essential part of Alice in Chains.
    SkinnyWhiteBoy
    Yes but Layne Staley was an integral part of the band that was no less a part of the band's original sound than Jerry Cantrell. Layne's voice and Jerry's guitar playing were equals in the band and that's one of the reasons why they were so successful.
    Abacus11
    I don't think that a band necessarily becomes another band when they change vocalists, especially for a band like this where the vocals are more of a part of the whole sound as opposed to being front-and-center. Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Alice In Chains, AC/DC, Anthrax, lots of great metal bands have had long, successful careers with multiple vocalists and with these bands vocals are much more a part of the bands' sounds than Suicide Silence. If done right, changing vocalists can rejuvenate a band and add new chapters and new life to their story.
    AlexGreat123
    Don't forget Faith No More and Mike Patton. How many people even know that Chuck Moseley was the vocalist or Faith No More on their first two records?
    Blitzkrieg_SAJ
    AC/DC? Although that doesn't discount your point about lyrics though.
    Shadow914
    Sentenced? Iron Maiden? Hell, most people don't know that Mitch was actually a co-vocalist with Tanner Womack originally, but shortly after the demo they fired Tanner. In some cases bands can actually become far superior with the addition of a new vocalist.. Unfortunately, Suicide is not the case now though.
    Nuclearcrayon
    Never been a fan of this band or Deathcore as a subgenre but this is their best effort to date IMO. Some nice melodic sections which I didn't hear on past releases, but it's still not exactly a "good album". How people can say "The Cleansing" is their best album is beyond me. I've tried to listen to it but it's just mindless noise. To each their own I guess.
    cmccor31
    I thought this was a pretty solid album. I'm not gonna get into the "it was better/worse than other albums" but I like this album quite a bit.
    Eissari
    extremely heavy breakdowns are losing their meaning since most metalcore songs are breakdown through the whole song. They are way more effective when not overused. For example Pantera or Sepultura.
    spikewolf123
    The problem I had with this album was the huge repetition with the lyrics each track just sounded like one far too long chorus which immediately put me off the album also the fact that I couldn't distinguish between tracks due to the nature of the repetition throughout I felt let down by this track after seeing both bands do so much better. Also the track Don't Die is a huge contradiction to other work and how at their shows they would have donation boxes saying ever £5 donated an emo kid dies.
    Jcsb1993
    Hate to say it, but I only made it through a couple songs. Suicide Silence just bores the shit out of me.
    Dude475
    I have to say that his is their best album IMO. Eddie does an amazing job on the vocal duties and I prefer him to lucker.
    theblazinasian
    I'm not particularly into this kind of music, but I gotta say that the video for You Can't Stop Me was ****ing hilarious!
    nuckingfuts
    that review was a bit harsh, it sucks that the singer died, but I have to disagree with a lot of the points that you made. That's not to say that the review wasn't well written, the author did a good job of summing up a lot of the key tracks and providing some pretty insightful commentary, but i get the sense that some of the points you made were subjective, which is okay!, but discrediting the album in comparison to Whitechapel, Chelsea Grin or any other release wasn't very effective, at least in this case. For example, I thought the latest Whitechapel release wasn't as good as the previous, and Chelsea Grin has always been a band I could never get into. Would it be fair to say this album was mediocre because it didn't, in the opinion of the reviewer, live up to releases from other bands? Maybe, but it would've been a far stronger review if you focused in on the progression Suicide Silence has had since their previous releases. The reviewer mentioned a bit how musically, this release pales in comparison to their early work. In what way? Were there not enough blast beats, or was the structure of the more recent releases which have a lot of the angry chorus/ angry verse/ breakdown / angry chorus feel to it not doing it for you???? its by far not their best album, The Black Crown for me has been my favorite, but I would've rated a lot of the categories a little higher than a 5 or 6. Interested to see a lot more reviews coming in later.
    BwareDWare94
    I agree on the new Whitechapel album. Our Endless War was anything but a solid record. Completely directionless, the laziest lyrics of Phil's career, and incredibly simple arrangements compared to their prior releases (not sure why I praised their arrangements in my review of the album. It's gotten so boring, over time).