13 Voices review by Sum 41

• Released: Oct 7, 2016
Sum 41: 13 Voices

If you are looking for a heavier and more complex version of Sum 41, then this is the album. From the rich guitar solos, to the catchy Metallica sounding riffs, this album shows that anything is now possible with Sum 41. The added keyboard and orchestra sounds to songs like "War," "A Murder of Crows" and "Breaking the Chain" accentuate the complexity and harmonic ranges while "13 Voices" and "Goddamn I'm Dead Again" shows the heavier riff side thanks to Tom and now Dave's addition to the band once again.

With this new album which sounds like "Chuck" and "Screaming Bloody Murder" infused with one another, this album is definitely a radio accepted masterpiece for those who are fans of Guns N' Roses and Avenged Sevenfold alike.

Like "Screaming Bloody Murder," "13 Voices" is a cry from Deryck Whibley's past and his determination to change his future. Only difference between the two is "Screaming Bloody Murder" is about his divorce with Avril Lavigne, while "13 Voices" is about his almost near death experience with alcohol. "Make no mistake, I've paid my price, I've done my time. With the devil in disguise" he sings.

However some songs like "God Save Us All (Death to POP)" and "Fake My Own Death" shows that Deryck can still write songs about topics such as mainstream music and influences in today's society. Overall, the lyrics accentuates the overall sound of the album and shows that Sum 41 will not go down without a fight.

Here are my overall impressions from each song:

01. "A Murder of Crows" - Like "Reason to Believe" from "Screaming Bloody Murder," this song starts off with a long intro that brings the listener and the album to life. Once the album introduces the drums and hard riffs, the song definitely creates excitement for the rest of the album.

02. "Goddamn I'm Dead Again" - This is one of the hardest and fastest song from the album. This song brings back the catchy sound from "Blood in My Eyes" from the previous record, while blowing your mind with the absolute amazing guitar solo to finish it off.

03. "Fake My Own Death" - As the first song released from the album, this song is worth a listen, despite the absence of guitar solos. However the catchy riff along with the lyrics describing today's society makes this song a perfect fit.

04. "Breaking the Chain" - This is by far my favourite song from the album. Not only does it show that Sum 41 has a softer orchestra side with the intro, but they can definitely provide an extremely catchy chorus with a mini guitar solo that will force you to hit repeat.

05. "There Will Be Blood" - Being a fan of non-repetitive music, this is my least favourite song from the record. While still being a good song with a really cool sounding verse and bridge, I don't know how many times I can hear "little ones" in a day.

06. "13 Voices" - The self-titled song is the most complex song from the album. While starting off with a slow intro that reminds me of the show "Sons of Anarchy," it picks up speed once the drums roll in and doesn't stop from there. A fan of Metallica would truly love this song.

07. "War" - This is the first official single from the album and the slowest. While outlining Deryck's struggle to overcome his recovery from his alcohol addiction, it shows Sum 41's creativity once again with keyboards and arrangements. This is the "Pieces" to the album.

08. "God Save Us All (Death to POP)" - As one of the catchiest songs to the record, Deryck sings about the influences or lack there of from pop while still using hard riffs in the songs bridge.

09. "The Fall and the Rise" - First overall impression of the song is the catchy intro followed by a "Fat Lip" style rap verse with an extremely catchy chorus. Perfect way to end the song is with the catchy intro.

10. "Twisted by Design" - The slow intro along with powerful words brings this song to life before the drums even come into play. The chorus and mystic sounding outro is the perfect way to finish the song and to end the album.

Overall, Sum 41's "13 Voices" is their most complex work of art to date and proves that much more will arise from the band in the upcoming future. As a new 5 piece band, they will be louder and harder than ever and the album proves just that. An absolute new masterpiece from an already talented group, with hardly any complaints besides the topics of the lyrics. This is a record any punk or hard rock fan would want to add to their collection. Especially on vinyl.