13 Voices review by Sum 41

• Released: Oct 7, 2016
Sum 41: 13 Voices

On "13 Voices" Sum 41 build on 2011's "Screaming Bloody Murder," bring back Dave Brownsound along with the Sum 41 metal sound (bit of rap as well), as well as new drummer Frank Zummo. This album is quite diverse with both its instrumentation and feel. You have songs like "Goddamn I'm Dead Again" which features a lengthy guitar solo as well as duelling guitars, piano with some weird electro feel to it on songs like "God Save Us All," electronic drums on "War," strings on "Breaking the Chain," and there is even a little return the rap found on early album with "The Fall and the Rise."

You could safely say it carries on from where "SBM" left it, expanded it and brought back some of the old sound. Deryck and company have used every tool and trick they've had at their disposal as a 5 piece band and made a great record.

Lyrically it is also quite diverse, the album starts very aggressively with lines such as "You're all dead to me," and it really feels like he means it. As the album goes on the lyrics become a bit more tame and also more hopeful and positive with lines such as "So what am I fighting for, everything back and more, I'm not gonna let this go, I'm ready to settle the score, get ready cause this is war." Deryck has sharply expressed his anger and frustrations, as well as his excitement in moving forward into this new chapter of his life.

To me "Screaming Bloody Murder" was such a masterpiece that I was really curious how they were going to top it, and luckily for me they were able to write a solid and diverse record despite all the bullshit and line-up changes. When I first heard "Fake My Own Death," I love how aggressive it was but was left wondering where the guitar solos and duelling guitars were. When "War" and "God Save Us All (Death to POP)" came out, whilst I was happy the catchy choruses and upbeat-punk feeling, I was still wondering the same thing. Finally when the album was released, I was fully satisfied that I finally got my guitar solos and duelling guitars, and much much more.

For those who have been following the band you will not be disappointed, and for those that might discover them with "13 Voices" perhaps the album as whole may not be for you, but there will be a song for you.

Favourite songs: "War," "Goddam I'm Dead Again," "Breaking the Chain," "God Save Us All (Death to POP)," "The Fall and the Rise."

Oyface
    That first one sounds like an old fan who can't appreciate the changes they've made. Even if they have lost some of their old crowds, who cares? Bands shouldn't stay the same just because that's what people want. Sure, roots are all well and good, just don't expect the rest of the tree to stop growing.
    jleblanc09
    not gunna lie i actually love this album and it hasnt left my tape deck since it entered. favorite songs are murder of crows, goddamn im dead again, 13 voices although i dont hear the SOA tease that the reviewer talked about, and twisted by design