Chuck review by Sum 41

• Released: Oct 4, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Sum 41: Chuck

First of all, I'd like to say one thing before starting. Do not come expecting All Killer No Filler. You will be very disappointed. Think more like The Offspring, or Bad Religion. Still a bit softer than those bands, but closer to that. This is not nessisarily a bad thing. Personally, I like it much better than some of All Killer No Filler's bubbly slap happy c--p. Guitarist Dave still gives some nice rhythms and crazy solos. Overall, I'd give it a solid 4.

Ok, this record, lyric wise is pretty creative. Well, sort of. It has a strong Anti-Bush Sentiment on some of the songs. I, personally, don't enjoy this. I am a strong conservative and I'm not afraid to admit that. But I'll look beyong that and just judge it music wise. I think that the whole liberal bias is kind of derivative, mainly because every single frickin artist is a leftist these days. It really is a copy cat, derivative, weak minded stand point for a record, especially when this is your focus on the disc. I would give it a lower score, but to be fair, Sum was pretty creative with the lyrics, even though the subject was weak and cliche.

I like this album overall. It's a well done foray into a new sound for the band. And trust me, it's a welcome change. In comparison to other records, like Bad Religion, The Empire Strikes First, or The Offspring, Splinter, it just doesn't hold it's own. Some songs, like Intro/No Reason and Some Say are moments of genius. However, the album is kind of front loaded, seeing as most of the songs after 7 are pure, unadulterated filler (aside from Pieces, which is just ok, despite all the hype) I don't know, you might love the cd, you might hate it. If it were lost or stolen, I wouldn't buy a new copy, seeing as it's all copied to my computer so I could just burn a new one. With all that, I give it a 3. It would be a 3. 5 if I could put one for this nice record which just might pull Sum out of the crap-ridden genre known as pop-punk.