Chuck review by Sum 41

• Released: Oct 12, 2004
Sum 41: Chuck

This album packs explosive power! Dave really was able to steal the show in this album with his awesome metal riffs and solos, most prominently noticable in songs like "The Bitter End" and "88". Futhermore, the metal stuff, really works well for Stevo. The drums were jam packed with power throughout the entire album, and adds an extra edge to already heavy metal-punk. The speed of the riffs and the drums in the album really make your heart race, and you find yourself pummeled by powerful and catchy tunes. A few songs on the last half of the album we're kind of mid toned and slow, but thanks to Whibley, the vocals punched through and made the songs worth listening to.

The singing of Deryck Whibley and the rest of the band is absolutely perfect. The band manages to run from harmonic voicals to lazy raspy vocals, to screaming vocals, while still flowing seamlessly with the guitars. Songs like "Pieces" and "Welcome To Hell" show off the lyrical genuis of Deryck. "Pieces" (which is one of my favorite Sum 41 songs) has genius lyrics that relate to every teenager there ever was. The only complaint I have about the lyrics were that they were somewhat repetitive. I esspecially noticed this while listening to "We're All To Blame" I found the chorus much over used (esspecially after the fast screaming part). Yet Whibley maganged to wow me again by changing the verse of the final chorus and turning into a somber, and welcomed accoustic finalle. One other thing that bugged me was that in the screaming part of "I'm Not The One" they stole the lyrics from the Linkin Park song. Either way, Whibleys guiness lyrics bring out the unique part of Sum 41 in this punk-metal genra.

This album is extremely solid with the heavy guitars, and drums, not giving you a second to breathe. Finally Sum 41 will get some long deserved appriciation for their musical talent (both song writing, and playing). It moves away from the made to sell rock, and displays a long needed change in rock music, with harder guitar riffs, and melodic (but not whiney) vocals. If you are a Sum 41 fan looking for the catchy tracks of Does This Look Infected or All Killer No Filler, this album will surprize, but not dissapoint. Songs like "Some Say" and "Open Your Eyes" will probably remind you of the old Sum 41 style (both are great songs, although not really new). Although the new albums heavier riffs and more complex timing structure and lyrics make it a little less catchy at first, once your hooked, you'll find this cd hard to take out of your cd player.