Chuck review by Sum 41

• Released: Oct 12, 2004
Sum 41: Chuck

Sum 41's Chuck has proven to have great sound; the drums (especially the snare) have been turned down a little since their previous album which I think is a positive thing, but for others maybe not. The guitars are loud! Only comment on the guitar sound is that most times it is hard to figure out which notes Deryck or Dave are playing, maybe done purposely? The bass: great deception, the bass is totally forgotten in this album, it is undistinguishable from all the other instruments. Another negative point is the vocals: they have been turned up so much; although they don't exactly overlap the guitars, yes we know you want us to hear you Deryck!

Sum 41's negative/problem/depression/giving up type lyrics really show us their uniqueness although they tend to repeat themselves. Deryck has proven to be a skilful singer, changing from pop-melodies to metal-screaming. Cone and Dave, as seen in the "We're All To Blame" music video, are now joining up as backing vocals, adding very well fitting harmony singing to songs.

Chuck is by far Sum41's best album; although I heard it isn't selling that well. "I'm Not The One" would be my favourite and most impressed by song, followed by "The Bitter End" and "Some Say"; opposed to many peoples high impression to "We're All To Blame." What I love about this album is the change of style from pop to metal. What I don't like about this album is that there's been some "borrowing" going on: "Some Say" is clearly been copied of "Handle This" from their own previous album and a few riffs in various songs totally remind me of Metallica, like the second intro in "The Bitter End" is obviously a replica of "St. Anger." If this album were lost I would buy it certainly buy it again.