Chuck review by Sum 41

• Released: Oct 12, 2004
Sum 41: Chuck

Well, what can I say, an absoutley flawless album. Even though people have described this album as a transformation into metal, I for one disagree and would call it a experimental record. Yes, more metal influences are on there, most noticeably on the song, "The Bitter End," but I think its more experimental, from the thrashy, "We're All To Blame," to the acoustic strumming of, "Slipping Away," to the emotional and atmospheric, "Pieces." The sound is pretty faultless and the guitar proficency is really evident. What I like about this album is the multi rhythm tracks like, "88," Another thing about this album you will enjoy is its diversity and also the crazy solo in the bitter end. All I can say is superb.

The lyrics are excellent. Sum 41 have completley transformed their lyric approach and every song has some really deep and thoughtful lyrics. The best lyrics in my opinion are in pieces, lyrics straight from the heart and are quite literally superb. Also, the lyrics tend to fit in perfectly with the melodies, making a brilliant flowing record. On Chuck, Dereck Whibley was able to display amazing vocalist skills by offering us a wide range of vocals, from screaming, to soft singing, to high to very melodic singing, showing his superb talent as a vocalist. Also, another good thing to point is how Deryck has easily transformed from the previosu sum 41 attempts. The lyrics are fantastic.

This album is a breath of fresh air. Superb musician skills, fantastic rhythms, different vocal skills, multi-genred songs all add to a superb accomplished record. It easily compares to most artists of today and even some of the past generation. Every single song on this album is brilliant but I believe the most impressive songs are, the bitter end were all to blame, no reason, I'm not the one, pieces and 88 but they are all radical. I love literally everything about this album theres not one fault I can pick with it, and if it was stolen or lost I would definetly go out and buy a new copy. It puts music in a different context.