Chuck review by Sum 41

• Released: Oct 4, 2004
Sum 41: Chuck

I was at first a bit suspicious of this record, at first I thought it was just another Pop-Punk record that would go Triple Platinium in about 5 minutes. But after closer inspection I realised it is something alot better than that. The riffing, for example is exemplary for any young guitarists starting on the road of rock and roll. Some of the solo's are quite frankly remarkable. Also the drumming is also something to be marvelled at. This is a band maturing very quickly and this could be the first step.

Having to appeal to the masses, this record's lyrics should be a lot about getting dumped and jokes about farting. But this album once again goes deeper, further and more real than it's rivals. The Bitter End and Subject To Change for example are both simple but incredibaly effective lyrics that both catch on quickly but also have the ability the make the listener think. The singer also does a fairly good job in the mix of softer songs, the moderatly loud songs and the louder, edgier songs. Its not the best lyrics ever heard but not the worst either. Subject to Change is actually quite lazy because part of the song is nicked from No Reason.

This album begins with a nice cool Intro section that actually fits onto the beginning of most of the songs on the album. The best tracks are No Reason, Bitter End, I'm Not the One, 88 and Subject To Change. I Love the fact a band that are currently successful in the charts are able to right such brilliant songs that will not neccesarily appeal to the masses. But I hate songs like Noots and Open Your eyes, which to me is just simple pop-punk, involving any brains at all. I did not buy this album, I lent it off a mate, I want to steal this album and have for myself, because it is a great punk rock album, better than "American Idiot" and Blink 182's self titled album, it might just be this genres best album since "Dookie" or "Take Off Your Pants And Jacket."

untitled039
    this is undoubtlebly their most creative album yet. It really grows on you the more you listen to it. I'd definitely recommend this record to any sum 41 fan or anyone new to sum 41. 10/10