Chuck review by Sum 41

• Released: Oct 4, 2004
Sum 41: Chuck

From listening to their albums in a chronilogical order, I have noticed one theme: it seems as if Sum 41 might be "growing up." From the anthem "Fat Lip" to the now famous songs on this Album, that is the impression given to me, and I love it. I would love to see them live because they can go from a jump-around happy feel that would totally get you psyched to a totally different serious, mature song that will wow you to death. Aside from that, Sum 41 has always made songs that were just plain fun to play on guitar. After tons of hard work, I can finally play all of "The Bitter End" including the solo up to speed with the album. One thing I noticed about the album was that some songs sounded like songs from other bands. But what is ok with that is that the way they go about playing and producing them made them great "No Reason" which is one of my all time favorite songs (I've never not got goosebumps while listening to this song after the first couple plays, no joke) sounds like it could be a Lincon Park song and I hate Lincoln Park. "The Bitter End" sounds like Metallica's "Battery" which is an awesome song already. I didn't like a few songs on the album, like "Open Your Eyes" and "Pieces" because they had that dumb generic sound. Those two didn't compensate for the face-melting radness Chuck has to offer.

My god, quite possibly the best lyrical album of the 21st century. The backup that Dave and Cone deliver is truly the best back up I've ever heard. The Lyrics are real deep. I like the whole "war on rock" concept they have. Definately showing a sign of maturity. I couldn't come up with it anyway, but maybe in 13 or 14 years when I'm their age I can. But the harmony and back up is orgasmic, you gotsta check it out.

One of my favortie albums ever; the one in my ears the most as of present time. I would suggest taking a gander at this one even if you don't like Sum 41. The songwriting is amazing, the skill, producing, melodic riffs, catchyness, and maturity is as strong as ever. It bummed me out to hear the recent departure of their lead guitar player, Dave, but from what I hear, he didn't contribute to their creativy very much, so their new album won't take a change for the worst, and I'm anticipating it. Sum 41 has become a roll model for me, in the early stages of being in bands. I don't want to copy or rip them off, but catchy, fast (along with being able to pull of slow), deep songs doesn't sound like that bad of an idea to me right now. I would suggest you let those goosebumps show and go buy "Chuck" before you just end up whacking off.

RockMusicFan
    Chuck is a fantastic album, but it's too bad that the new album is supposed to be more punk than metal.