Screaming Bloody Murder review by Sum 41

• Released: Mar 29, 2011
Sum 41: Screaming Bloody Murder

The first thing I thought when hearing the build up that constitutes the first minute or so of the album was: "This isn't the same band that recorded In Too Deep" This I feel is one thing that any listener needs to keep in mind when listening to this album. For better or for worse Sum 41 have grown up a bit. Since most of the members are now in their 30's it makes sense for the band to evolve. It'd be foolish to assume that someone could right party songs all their lives. So now we know what the album isn't, what is it? Eclectic if you like that kind of thing and a mess if you don't. Sum 41 have taken a similar route to perhaps My Chemical Romance. They've matured the sound, adding elements such as pianos mixed with a minor feel in many songs. Scoff at the MCR parallel if you will, but it's true (at times the bands even sound slightly similar). The album shifts style a lot, sometimes at break neck speed between styles and tempo's, at times leaving the listener with Auditory Whiplash. Some may enjoy this, but to most this will leave a slightly unpleasent feeling in the gut. There are some tracks that stand out over others, "Jessica Kill" and "Screaming Bloody Murder" perhaps being the two best after a couple of listens with a few more plays. This album is much darker and more "grown up" than Sum 41's efforts. It's a good effort at this sound and works well. But anyone expecting another "Chuck" or "All Killer, No Filler" will be sorely disappointed. Taken on it's own merit however, the sound is pretty damn good.

The lyrics are similarly effect by Sum 41's shift in tone. The lyrics are perhaps best described as 'heart on the sleeve'. Emotional and often dealing with love gone wrong in some context (possibly influenced by lead singer Deryck Whibley's recent split from Rock Princess Avril Lavigne). Even if you enjoy this kinda thing the lyrics easily come across as derivative, and when almost every track is on the same theme, it get's pretty boring pretty quickly. One plus however is Deryck's voice. Unlike the almost rapped vocals from albums gone by in "Screaming..." we find his voice to be engaging and believable. So if nothing else, Daryck's delivery saves the lyrics from becoming hopelessly samey; just slightly samey.

I think the main thing to be said for "Screaming..." is that it's different. If you come into this album hoping for a return to the old days then I wouldn't bother. If you like emotionally charged rock that has that hint of epic grandiosity, but doesn't go completely over board, then you will very likely enjoy this album (think The Black Parade but toned down a tad). It's all a matter of taste.

me_llamo_juan
    Just gonna say, I miss the brownsound. I'll admit they definitely changed on Chuck because of him, but I still enjoyed it. UCH was iffy at best, I still need to listen to this one though. Hoping for the best.
    kafirr
    TheReverend724 wrote: Album ****ing blows. I swear this site has no credibility on reviews at all
    A review is all about personal opinion. If someone likes it, they'll make a positive review, and if they don't they won't. It's pretty simple. Just because you didn't like the album doesn't mean the review will reflect that. Plus, UG is like Wikipedia in the sense that everything added is by the public and it's validity is voted by the public. If you don't like it, give it a low rating.
    paramore_fans
    pyritmann wrote: Terrible album, such a disappointment Sum41 died when Brownsound left guys, time to move on. *tear*
    I don't think it's terrible at all. Screaming Bloody Murder is way better than UNDERCLASS HERO musically and lyrically, Deryck is a genius songwriter and now he can do Dave Baksh's guitar solos with ease. Cone their bassist already said in the interviews that their lead guitarist TOM THACKER from GOB is as kickass as their old shredder guitarist DAVE BAKSH. TOM can shred too and I agree, I listen to all GOB albums, he and THEO can make both sick guitar riffs. Songs with Sick Guitar Solos in this album Screaming Bloody Murder by Tom Time For You To Go by Tom Holy Image of Lies by Tom What Am I To Say by Tom Happiness Machine by Tom and Deryck, their solo in this song is close to Avenged Sevenfold's Gates and Zack Vengeance haha no joke. Baby You Don't Wanna Know by Tom Blood In My Eyes by Tom and Deryck We're The Same(Bonus Track) by Tom and Deryck
    Palm*
    This album was a huge disappointment. Except for screaming bloody murder and blood in my eyes nothing really interested me much. I loved the early day albums, underclass hero was ok, and now this. I still like them as a band and musicians but the new album could've been so much better. I suppose they're not "young" anymore, which is why we don't see any "All killer no filler" attitude anywhere on this album.
    DelongeFootwear
    i liked a few songs off of underclass hero, not their best album, but solid. however this album is an atrocity. to even call it sum 41 is upsetting. again, with what other people said about reason to believe, copy of pennywise btw , there was no need for that lame ass piano outro. that killed the whole vibe of the song. the rest of the album doesn't feel genuine and it feels rushed. what a crappy album. I gave it 2 listen throughs, and deleted it from my itunes library. believe me, i love sum 41 just as much as the next guy, but this album sucks =\ this rock opera sound they're trying to get at is not working. they have to stick to what they do best. they're luck they're are a point in their careers where they can put something like this out. any other unknown band that put this out, wouldn't see the light of day. just an example, ac/dc has played the same ****ing riff for 30 something years. its predictable, and sometimes boring, but they ARE their sound. the day ac/dc releases a rock opera ballad, is the day i commit suicide!