Screaming Bloody Murder review by Sum 41

• Released: Mar 29, 2011
Sum 41: Screaming Bloody Murder

My first impression of the bands sound itself on this album after listening to the whole 14 tracks, say twice over would be: This album has blown away their previous one, it is much more serious, darker, and heavier elements, but are weighed out by lighter songs as well as more fun punk styled songs. I don't think there is more story or anything to this album, this is just another decent Sum 41 record that has songs you can relate to as well as have fun to, the same old, but nothing boring. The style in this record, well you can tell its Sum 41! Its just Sum 41 that have moved on alot, there is a lot of piano featured in this album which they have not really used before which brings forward a more darker and grown up feel to this record and the band, it is very creative. Nothing else I'd really like to share here, all I can say is, this album sounds a lot like their previous "Chuck" at times but adds more creativity to it with the piano's etc, and with some more complex songs, also featuring less guitar solo's then say "Chuck" but it is not boring at all.

The lyrics on this album at first seem to be a lot more deep than their previous albums, they seem to make more sense, they are more in your face, but at the same time you can understand and relate to them on basically every song, which is what I respect a lot about the band. The lyrics fit the music very well as do Sum 41 always do this with all their songs on all their albums. Lastly, it is clear that after the years of experience this band have had and have improved a lot, deryck's vocal skills have also came a long a lot since "all killer no filler", he is more versitile now, improved live and can do many more things with his voice, going from soft to hard vocals in an instance.

This album does compare to their other albums, sum 41 never fail to release a interesting, great to listen to album, all of their albums do so, and they also all feature a different sound so you can never get bored of this band. This could be classed as one of their best and most creative albums yet, next to "Chuck" which I think was Sum 41's best album in their discography. The most impressive songs on this album would be: "Reason To Live", "Screaming Bloody Murder", "Sick Of Everyone" and "Happiness Machine". I chose these as they are very creative interesting songs to listen to and never get boring, they stand out from the rest of this album due to that. I love this album due to their new sound, it featues a fast, upbeat, sing a long and also relating to your own problems feel, it is in your face and never gets boring, I love that. I hate this album due to the fact there is not many guitar solos like their past album "Chuck" and there may be too many pianos and weird sounds at times, but this is something we will have to get used to. I would recommend checking this album out NOW.

Mistermetee
    Sum 41 is one of my favorite bands of all time and i absolutely love their first 4 albums, but Screaming Bloody Murder practically left me in tears of dissapointment. It wasn't sum 41, it was mcr and greenday. I really do hope that they go back to their early punk sound on their first few records but i wouldn't be surprised if they don't.
    Loki_37
    paramore_fans
    Loki_37 wrote: I really dislike the constant MCR and Green Day comparisons. Yes, you can see a lot of similarities, but these are basically the three leading punk bands in the mainstream (Even if recent releases have differed a bit). Now if I had to compare them to someone, those would be the bands to. It just gets old hearing how UC tried to emulate American Idiot. (Read reviews from other places, it's annoying!) I personally thought UC was their maturation point, so many ballads and a little politics to keep things interesting...For me, this mixes their last 3 albums, with some Offspring, Green Days, MCR, noise, and disjointed songs...it creates something really really different. Sadly, different isn't always good...I'll push this off to the side as a 6-7/10. Different pieces of different songs sound awesome, and then just fall off for less-than-stellar work. A little disappointing, especially as in the prep, I can remember them blogging about how it was going to be upbeat, with some widdly-widdly and solos. There were no guitar solos! Lastly, whoever noted the riffs were from previous practices and jams, thanks. They felt very recycled, more like something you'd find on a B-side album. For me, that's all this is. (Not the worst thing in the world)
    no guitar solos? dude you didn't even listened to the whole albums, this album has sick gutiar solos!!! created by DERYCK WHIBLEY himself and GOB's TOM THACKER, hahaha, want proof??? listen to this songs Songs with Sick Guitar Solos in this album Screaming Bloody Murder by Tom Time For You To Go by Tom Holy Image of Lies by Tom What Am I To Say by Tom Happiness Machine by Tom and Deryck, their solo in this song is close to Avenged Sevenfold's Gates and Zack Vengeance haha no joke. Baby You Don't Wanna Know by Tom Blood In My Eyes by Tom and Deryck We're The Same(Bonus Track) by Tom and Deryck
    Joshuaz39
    Voila the album we've been waiting for !! Sum 41 have managed to mature with their fans !! Sure chuck and DTLI were amazing albums but that was 5 years ago now they need to start evolving and growing and this is what they have done ! Musically speaking there is a lot of effort that has been put into this album and maybe lyrically it is a bit dark and depressive but hey life isn't always about ponies and rainbows !! Sure UC was a good album as well and they were compared to greenday for the political themes in some songs but I don't find that a compliment..it sounds cheesy and it is so easy to complain about ones political policy that in the end they should have just kept it to themselves anywho.... I much prefer hearing about the personal feelings and thoughts of Deryck and this is just what he has done, there are some songs on this record where one can feel really close to the band and there are some moving images that Deryck has painted with words. To resume this album goes down as one of my favorite rock albums for 2011 not just because its a sum 41 album and that I have been a fan of theirs since the beginning but because it truly is a rich and powerful record !! A perfect mix of rock, hard rock, punk, ballads and even metal!! Sum 41 have affirmed their spot amongst some of the best rock bands around today and unlike some (yes I m talking about blink 182) they have matured from being a great pre teen punk party band to and awesome ****ing rock band with immense talent !! The future looks bright, Well done sum 41 !! (sorry for poor english it isnt my first language)
    dark_corpse
    hey commenter above!!! Read The fcking album tittle!!! SCREAMING BLOODY MURDER! thats the theme..you hear, you scream..it gets bloody then you MURDER any skumfuk thats been an ass to this album!!