Underclass Hero review by Sum 41

• Released: Jul 24, 2007
Sum 41: Underclass Hero

It's Difficult to tell which direction Sum 41 have tried to go in with this album. Some songs such as title track 'Underclass Hero' resurrect the old Sum 41, with the same bouncy riffs that made 'Fat Lip' and 'In Too Deep' such big hits back in 2001. But many other tracks on the album are clearly reminiscent of Green Day and Good Charlotte. Another key point, at first you will probably believe that all the songs sound the same, but there is far more variety than it would first appear. It seems that Sum 41 have tried to go back to the old sound and develop it into more modern day punk. I believe that they have acheived it.

Deryck Whibley has an instantly recognisable voice, although it has developed superbly. Instead of the stereotyped 'shouting', Deryck does sing with a more melodic style throughout the album, his singing being similar to the style of Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day) and even Gerard Way (My Chemical Romance). The lyrics range from 'The presidents head is missing' to 'Adress this letter to dear father' and even stretch as far as 'et je commenceraidedans mis pantalons'. I do feel the lyrics are meaningful and successful but repetiton of lyrics in different songs (and perhaps the stealing of lyrics from other bands) does let them down on occassions.

'Underclass Hero' will compare well to most other punk albums of this year and fans who liked 'All killer no filler' will absoloutley love this album. My favourite aspect of this album is the fact that the old Sum 41 are back and they're as good as ever. I would buy this album again. Classic Sum 41.