Underclass Hero review by Sum 41

• Released: Jul 24, 2007
Sum 41: Underclass Hero

Well Sum 41 just released their new album "Underclass hero" and it may resemble some of their old sounds mixed with feelings of Political Green Day and some influences of olf school Blink 182 if you listen carefully. Anyways ever since Dave "Brown Sound" left to do a side project, Sum 41 have gone back to their roots but with a poppier edge unlike their last heavier album "Chuck". But don't get me wrong even though some of their stuff may sound like Blink and Green day this IMO is a good step for them from their last album. Like a new awakening for them. Most of the songs are basically Power chords with a tight drum section and easy bass lines with some piano thrown in on some songs that give their sound a new edge. But just because their playing is easy doesnt't mean they aren't as good as musicians. Just give the album a listen and you will see how all the songs are developed in their own unique way.

Well the lyrics are a bit politcal in some areas and very serious in other other songs. Like March of the Dogs " The president of the united states is dead" and a serious song that is a good listen would be "Dear Father" that is a sad moving song with good lyrics such as " So many years I've been ignored youve been gone without a trace I'm getting used to your're just another name without a face" which presents like I said feelings of sorrow and melancholy. Those are just some examples of how Sum 41 are progressing as band. Singing wise Deryk sings mostly in key in all the songs and his voice is clear and you can hear him enunciate all his words without having to say "what did he say?." Also Cone and Steve 0 do a real great job on harmonies such as Mike Dirnt from Green Day.

Overall if you are a fan of Sum 41 or Green Day this is a good album to pick up for a collection or just something new to listen to. The songs that stick out would be Underclass hero, March of the dogs, Dear Father, and Ma Poubelle which I think is sung in Canadian not so sure, and my favorite So long goodbye. I liked the fact that sum 41 is going in a good direction but I didn't really like how they used some easy chord progression in some songs but other than that it was a great album. If it were stolen I prolly wouldn't but it again just cause it have it on my PC.