Underclass Hero review by Sum 41

• Released: Jul 24, 2007
Sum 41: Underclass Hero

Well, after losing the lead guitarist, this band has been reduced from four to three members. I I had to compare them to anyone it would be right to say that they sound like a harder Blink 182. This CD has a lot of slower songs than the past few cds, but don't get me wrong they are good. The two songs that I heard a lot of before the release (Underclass Hero and March of the Dogs) are not the best songs on this CD, but are very good. If you like these two songs, than this is a good CD for you. This is a new Sum 41, and I think this is a good change for the band, the only thing is, you wont hear many of the solos they used to have.

The lyrics are great just like they always have been. They do not fall short of the standards for most Sum 41 fans. They throw in some political songs along the way, but there are also different songs about family relationships, love, and just other random things. It gives everyone something to relate to. Deryck puts a lot of emotion into the lyrics he is singing, and the bass player (Cone McCaslin) also gets some of the yelling thing going to back up some of Deryck's vocals. All of the lyrics fit with the music, and I can't find any problems with them.

Underclass Hero (1) gets this CD started off good with a classic punk beat, and my favorite is walking disaster(2), but it definitely reminds me of a blink 182 song. Speak of the Devil (3) is a good song, the intro is misleading, it also sounds like a blink 182 song. Dear Father (4) is a good song, and the lyrics are meaningful. Count Your Blessings (5) is one of my favorite songs, the intro and the contagious beat gets it going. I Don't Know (6) is average, I mean, it could be better; it's not one of my favorites but that's just me. March of the Dogs (7) one of the first songs we knew about off of this cd, is one of the political songs, but the beat is great, and it gets it's points across clearly. The Jester (8) is a great follow up to March of the Dogs, and is also semi political. With Me (9) was one of my original favorites and it is one of the love songs on this CD. Pull the Curtain (10) seems like a blink 182 type song, it's pretty good. The King of Contradiction(11)is not too bad of a song, the fast beat may turn some people off, but this is real punk, and the outro is pretty awesome. Best of Me (12) is one of the slower songs on the Cd, but has a good meaning to it. Confusion and Frustration (13) is a pretty good song, but the intro is a pretty standard one, used by many bands, but it's just what I would expect from Sum 41 or Blink 182. So Long Goodbye (14) is a good, slow way to end the album, also one of the best songs. I expect nothing less from this band, and they lived up to my expectations. I know I have said it a lot in this review, but they sound so much like Blink 182. If you like Blink 182, this is a great CD for you. Sum 41 toned it down on a lot of their songs, but they are great. If someone stole this CD, I would find the bastard that took it, get my CD back, then burn him a copy.