Underclass Hero review by Sum 41

• Released: Jul 24, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Sum 41: Underclass Hero

I've been a fan of theirs for many many years. Underclass here has to quite possibly be their worst album. It's not Sum 41 anymore, it's more like "Sum MTV". The songs are still okay, but expect them to be on TRL very soon. You could sort of see this coming after Chuck, but hey, can't blame somebody for tyring something new. To me, most of the songs sound the same, but, again, you can't really blame them. Their lead guitars, Dave Baksh, left durning song writting. The self-titled track, Underclass Hero, reminds me a lot of Fat Lip, and if you watch the music video for that song, you will really be reminded of Fat Lip, but it's not in a good way. it's more of a "your trying to hard to be your old selves again". One more thing about the sound, it's mainly like slow, "emo-ish" pop jams.

Most of the lyrics, are again, depression, sad, in love, stuff like that. Even the first song, Underclass Hero, which is the most up-beat song on the whole album, still has a down and depressed side to it. Derek sounds the same as he always has, which is good. Cone does a lot more backing vocals on this album aswell.

Overall, I wasn't too impressed by this album. I think the name is really cheesy, and the songs arnt that great. As much as I don't want to say it, they really sold out. I hate saying bands sold out, because to me, there really isnt any way of selling out. Sum 41 just really seems to have changed WAY too much. They arnt the Sum 41 that I listened to way back when, and fell in love with. Underclass Hero is probably the best song on the album, the rest are very boring and sound the same. So, I would just recommend buying just a few songs off of iTunes or something. Unless your a huge Sum 41 fan, like myself, then buy it, but if you want it for the music, just get a few of the songs.