Underclass Hero review by Sum 41

• Released: Jul 24, 2007
Sum 41: Underclass Hero

Underclass Hero is the latest release from the (formerly foursome) now threesome Ajax Natives. After taking quite a liking to their last release "Chuck" I was really looking forward to this album. The band claims to have returned to their "Punk Rock Roots" and to be honest I can understand what they meant when they said this, however U.C.H. seems to have been made up of more reused material then your standard "Punk Rock" album. I know that the title track is a remake of the Chuck bonus track Subject to Change and that didn't bother me that much (Even though Subject to Change was a much more solid song). The problem with this album is that vocal melodies are repeated throughout several songs, for example "Walking Disaster" and "Dear Father" sound quite similar. Even the songs that don't resemble other tracks on this CD sometimes mimic singles from other bands. The chorus of "The Jester" is very reminiscent of "House of Wolves" by My Chemical Romance, "With Me" Sounds like "Only One" by Yellowcard and that's not all, infact the whole CD seems like it is a musical version of Frankenstein with bits and pieces taken from the recycling bin.

The lyrics are very politically driven on this album and actually are probably the best aspect of Underclass Hero. While most songs stick to a social outcast kind of appeal there are some definitely well written songs about life in general and the classic love ballads. Deryek is a very talented singer and I am saddened to see that the melodies in this album aren't as original and creatively done as they could have been, because they overshadow the great lyrics he has written. One newer aspect of this album that I really take pleasure in is the inclusion of the piano to many more songs this time around; it really adds a lot more emotion and versatility to their sound.

I think this is one of Sum 41's worst albums, but that isn't saying it's bad, they just had some really good ones before it. Infact if you haven't really listened to the band much before this you might find a lot of enjoyment in this album however, to the true fans it will be tough to appreciate Underclass Hero more then their previous releases. The best songs on the albums would be Walking Disaster With Me and So Long Goodbye. However those choices were made after only a few listens of the album, more songs may grow on me after some time. I think Sum 41 is a very solid band and are defiantly one of my favorites, so I hope they explore their sound more on their next albums. This album in general isn't horrible; it just doesn't feel as fresh and exciting as their previous releases. This album is defiantly one in which you must listen to for yourself to make a true opinion of however to me I feel as if it just doesn't live up to my high expectations.

BreakingTheGirl
    Rather conceited album cover if you ask me >.> Yeah this album is shit. Like a shittier version of all killer no filler. almost.
    budgie182
    mack attack wrote: Ya underclass hero is pretty much fat lip with a a few different notes and lyrics but Fat Lips still better. All Killer No Filler is there best Cd, but in my opinion Does this Look Infected is much worse than this one.
    thats bollocks, DTLI was their best
    tanguyen
    Loved the band... yet always knew they liked ripping things off, even though unconsciously. Only this time, not only did they stole off Blink (the other bands were aforementioned) they even stole off their own stuff.
    Jeffray85
    this band has all ways been a joke, and now it's a joke that isn't funny.
    Dabey
    Brownsound isn't a shredder, and the solos of into deep and the bitter end isn't really creative
    pigmaggots
    I liked the comment on his lyrics being good, then they quoted a line and they were awful...
    paccko137
    i dont care who you are, this album freakin rocks... its worth every penny
    theduke92
    Nybb wrote: UG really needs like an official review team (similar to their interview team) to review some of the big name albums. The reviews people submit are always positive. Look at this, the album sucked, even if you liked their older stuff, yet the lowest rating is still a 63% with most being 90% or better. The problem is that its mostly only people who like an album that take the time to review it, and they're always biased. Look at the discrepancy between the overall rating and the users' ratings. UG needs to revamp the reviewing system somehow in order for every single album to not be rated as amazing.
    I agree.
    RobertKane2007
    the new album is amazin nd does this look infected is way there best album
    VoyceZ
    mister bass guy wrote: cool, ill check them out
    Don't this album is a disgrace to their career
    bassbizzle
    does this look infected was their last good album, these guys continue to disapoint me =(
    mack attack
    emometalguy
    this album is ripping of themselves!! its not original for most of the album and i agree with people when they say it is similar to green day. it was a disappointing album
    budgie182