Underclass Hero review by Sum 41

• Released: Jul 24, 2007
Sum 41: Underclass Hero

With the sad departure of lead guitarist Dave "Brownsound" Baksh, I will say I had a few doubts about wether or not this album would make the cut. I was pleasently surprised. While the guitaring was not as complex as it was with other songs such as "In too deep" and "The bitter end" it still sounded very good and catchy. Cones bass was still good backup, and Steve-O's drumming was fantastic.

Deryck took an interesting turn with his lyrics, touching down on more personal issues. In the song "Dear Father" he talks about how his dad left, and he doesn't know who he is ("You're just a name without a face" "I know you as complete unknown"). They still had that awesome liberal tone in songs like Underclass Hero, March of the Dogs, and The Jester. He also had a romantic tone in With Me, which is rumored to have been built off of a poem for his wife, Avril. He says "I don't want this moment to ever end where everything's nothing without you." Which gives it a very sweet, loving feel to it. Overall, fantastic singing. Derycks voice is still amazing and harmonic.

According to other albums, it was a bit softer, not as hard-rock-ish. My personal favorites on the album are Underclass Hero, March of the Dogs, The Jester, With Me, and Confusion and Frustration in Modern Times. They are some of the most memorable songs on the album. I love how they still kept a punk-like sound, with the lack of a guitarist. The lyrics are still memorable and harmonic, and it's overall great. Nothing I didn't like about it. If I lose it, I would most definitely buy it again, without hesitation. Pick up this album as soon as you can.