Underclass Hero review by Sum 41

• Released: Jul 24, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Sum 41: Underclass Hero

Unlike previous albums, Underclass Hero has a much softer sound. This is mainly due to the guitars and lack of actual guitar riffs reminiscent to those of Does This Look Infected?. With Dave gone, there are no longer any "legitimate" solos. Despite Deryck being the main riff-writer, he fails to create different and original riffs for each song. The only song that really seems to have decent riffs is Count Your Last Blessings. Even though the songs are catchy and upbeat, I find myself getting bored quickly as Underclass Hero doesn't have the same "Sum 41 attitude" from past albums. On the happier note, it's good to see the band expanding their artistic side by adding in more piano, acoustic guitar, multiple drum kits in a single song, and vocal harmonies. Although Deryck seems to go a bit overboard with them and there aren't many traditional guitar, bass, drum rock-out songs.

The lyrics are definitely a step forward in relation to Sum 41's standards. To see what I mean, count how many times the words "fake" and "blame" are used in Does This Look Infected? and Chuck. Now count how many times those same words are used in Underclass Hero. The extra time to make the album has definitely given Deryck a chance to improve his songs lyrically. Although some songs fall short and just seem bland (With Me, So Long Goodbye).

Overall, you have to commend the guys for continuing on and making a fifth album after losing Dave. Despite Deryck's claims about Dave, I doubt it's true and Underclass Hero pretty much proves it. The best thing about Underclass Hero is the lyrics and the band trying to craft the songs better. But the thing that separated Sum 41 from bands like Blink 182 and Green Day was the guitar riffs and solos. With Underclass Hero it relentlessly gets criticized as a Blink 182/Green Day rip-off. Being a big Sum 41 fan myself, I hate seeing those kinds of reviews, but I would be lying if I said I didn't agree. All in all, if you're a big fan get the album and enjoy it for what it's worth. If you're a fan of their heavier stuff, leave this album be and keep listening to Chuck and Does This Look Infected?

skootla
    Tominator dude your a dumbass...Deryck did ALL the vocals on EVERY sum 41 album. The only album with anyone else singing is AKNF with 'Fat Lip" and DTLI with "Thanks For Nothing" where Stevo does 2 lines. why does everyone think cone is such a good singer..he never sings. and when they do it live he just butchers the parts he sings. In My Opinion, This album is central to Deryck. like. Every song is about him. so yeah. to me Deryck is "The Underclass Hero" and this album is sort of his personal autobiography
    rofl dude ur the dumbass stevo and cone BOTH sing in diff parts of songs lets see underclass hero cone does sum vocals, with me a little, as for stevo LOL obvioulsyt u nvr heard of pain for pleasure
    Novaacaine
    TheReverend724
    Novaacaine wrote: I think he meant on the album. Cone doesn't do any vocals on the album, he only sings the backups live. Deryck has sung all the vocals on Underclass Hero. But yeah, songs like Fat Lip, Pain for Pleasure... etc. are songs where Deryck clearly isn't the only vocal.
    dont forget daves possessed hair
    markisouvlaki
    Aakepaake
    markisouvlaki wrote: Gotta say, this, this album pretty much sucks, especially the way they took the chorus from subject to change, that's hella lame.
    You don't ****ing know anything what you are talking now about! Subject to change is SUBJECT TO BE CHANGED. It is demo which band chose to bonusttrack in Chuck. Deryk wanted to use the chorus cause it was good! IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT, THEN JUST SHUT UP!!
    Lipfat
    Jeffray85 wrote: this band has all ways been a joke, and now it's a joke that isn't funny.
    then why the hell are you looking at the reviews for sum 41...dumbass
    Steriogramrules
    Wow...I can't believe how positive this review is... The album is basically 3 different songs used over and over...the melodies are the same almost the whole way through. The song writing basically sucks and every song sounds like something that has been done before. I LOVED Sum 41 until I heard this album. I just can't believe they didn't see themselves that their songs all sound the same. I'm not saying that some of them aren't great songs, I'm just saying that they seriously needed to stop using the same ****in melody over and over
    Steriogramrules
    stuartini wrote: there was no need for 14 tracks AND the bonus one on UH. its all the same!! they said they'd take elements from everything they'd done, but i can't hear any of the good metal elements, and the punk elements are way too poppy. Does This Look Infected was such a kick-ass album, and this one sucks bad. and why the **** are they against american government?!?! they're canadians!!!
    You don't have to be American to hate Bush and the American government. Being as powerful as America is, alot of what they do affects the rest of the world. I hate how they keep going on about the underclass when they're rich bitches now. But you are completely right about it all sounding the same, although there are some sweet songs on it. They're mostly pretty much variations of one song when you think about it
    Riz_kan
    Hey can somebody create the review of their latest greatest hit?its already sold out but i'm lazy to create the review
    saintjimmy924
    i love SUM 41..one of my top 3 bands this is easily my favorite album of theirs and i have them all there is so much emotion in the songs and deryck really did an amazing job of producing this gem!!
    fendercobain87
    this album really sucked . does this look infected and chuck were their best. all killer no filler was good to but this album was a dissapointment just to think i bought it on my 20th birthday the day it was released god i wish i had the 12.00 back.
    silentearth:3
    buying an album in hopes that they didnt change their style or hoping that it sounds like they're previous efforst is such a stupid way to look at music and the musicians themselves. everyone complaining that its not a good album because its not the same makes you look like a bunch of F***ing morons. Are you guys against progression? Sum 41 is my Favorite band alongside Megadeth, Himsa, and Audio Karate and all of those bands progressed significantly. If you want to hear the same BS over and over hear AC/DC or some 60's band. pffft and i thought there were actual musicians on this site but it looks like most of you guys are simple minded chug a chug chug ignorant metal heads.
    symmetryerased
    my first Sum41 album and will always have a special place in my heart. Even without Dave they can still produce great songs. Best song on the album : With Me
    Wobbey363
    Kind of disappointing that the chorus for Underclass Hero was taking directly from Subject to change from Chuck.