Flight Of The Behemoth review by Sunn O)))

• Released: Feb 5, 2002
Sunn O))): Flight Of The Behemoth

The words heavy dont give this release justice. I swear my house shook off its foundation when I played this for the first time. A sub sonic assault from Masters of Doom Stephen O'Malley and Greg Anderson. I don't think I've ever heard something so musically dark and suffocating, (Teeth Of Lions comes to mind but what do expect with Stephen and Greg in that band as well). Heavy and simplistic and droning onward till youve lost all hope for a better life. Five tracks alltogether with 2 tracks remixed (if you can call it that) by Japenese noise guru Merzbrow just further inhance the dark dementia soaked insantiy trip you will experience.

No lyrics here, just a musical journey. The fact there are no lyrics just enhance the release.

Sunn O))) pretty much started off as nothing but an Earth tribute band and while I think Earth second relese (Earth 2) is incredible I feel Sunn O))) have conquered that release and extended the boundaries for drone. The raw heaviness of it is almost like being in a religious trance or an out of body experience, Very primal and ancient, I somehow feel the ancient civilizations worshipped their Gods while listening to something like this.

The War Machine
    here's an extremely underappreciated band that should be at the top of the world. and i previously read a review that said sunn cant top the gods of drone, earth. well, i have to agree, that statement is repeatedly disproved. the only advantage earth has is the 30 minute tracks on almost every take, making it drone on forever...
    AltarsOfMadness
    Apparantly these guys are unreal live It's so ****ing atmospheric apparantaly However this is a great album, along with white2 probably my favourite of theirs. And the split with Boris is pretty good too
    noisewall11
    SWANS is another suffocating band like that (SUNN was actually influenced by them and earth was as well). check them out if you basically like the suffocating feeling along with the feeling of having a car door slammed on your head repeatedly.