Altar Review

artist: Sunn O))) And Boris date: 07/14/2007 category: compact discs
Sunn O))) And Boris: Altar
Release Date: Oct 31, 2006
Label: Southern Lord
Genres: Doom Metal, Experimental Rock, Heavy Metal, Avant-Garde Noise, Experimental
Altar is a bona fide collaboration between powersonic drone throners Sunn 0))) and Japan's experimental rockist thunderhead Boris.
 9.9
 9.8
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Altar Reviewed by: aenimafist, on july 14, 2007

Sound: These two bands come together to form an amalgam of droning and exquisite drumwork with elements not yet utilized by any other band. The first song, Etna starts with a long drone of Sunn 0))). Then the drums kick in and the Boris drummer ripps out a huge drum solo in the midst of the drone. Then there is actually some rock riffage! Yes! This is hardly a rock album though as it is an Dark Ambient double artist collaboration. The two bands are both on Southern Lord Recordings so they mix quite well. // 10

Lyrics: There is only one song on the whole album with lyrics and that is Sinking Belle (blue sheep). The vocals are done by a guest performer named Jesse Sykes. The lyrics don't make a whole lot of sense to me but it sounds like a mourning of a dead one. The singer has a nice voice and I would say she could very well be welcomed back for another job. // 10

Overall Impression: I bought this without intending to but I am not regretting my purchase one bit. I was just shopping around at alocal record store and saw this as a triple LP in new vinyl. I immediately picked it up even though I was actually looking for Voivod and found that on the LP version one of the disks is an entire song that is not on the CD called Her Lips Were Wet With Venom. Go out and see if you can get it on vinyl. It sounds better that way anyhow. Inside the vinyl edition is a large book of a band photo shoot. You should really check it out. I got it on yellow vinyl. // 10

Comments