Diary review by Sunny Day Real Estate

• Released: May 10, 1994
Sunny Day Real Estate: Diary

Sunny Day Real Estate are one of the most well known '90s emo band. Emo as in not From First To Last, Fall Out Boy or My Chemical Romance but proper emotional hardcore. And this is their most widely known album. The sound is imense. Emotion filled vocals, nice post-hardcore guitar that goes from quiet to loud in the blink of an eye, franticly busy drumwork and very good production.

Well, the lyrics, though very minimal, never cease to send a shiver down my spine. Jeremy Enigk is excellent, both lyrically and vocally. The lyrics and music mix like beans and honey (a good thing, I assure you).

This album spawned millions of copy-cat bands such as Mineral and Eliot (both of who are excellent) but it trumps them all. Highlights from the album would be In Circles, Seven, Song About An Angel And Shadows but this album must be heard as a whole to be fully appreciated. I love almost everything about this album. Actually, seeing as I cannot think of anything I don't like about it let's say I love everything about it. if it was lost or stolen I would get it again for sure and I would sit beside the door waiting for it to be delivered (it's kinda hard to get so I reccomend ebay). So, an excellent album by an excellent band. Definitely the album I'd reccomend new fans to get followed up by LP2/Sunny Day Real Estate.

screamingtadpol
    I have to agree whole-heartedly. This album nocked me over at a time in which i was looking for solid bands with wicked tunes. Everything about this album screams masterpiece. Do yourself a favour and check them out if you've never heard this album or band before.
    Infamou$17
    It's a shame they also became victims of the curse of the third album. As far as 90's emo goes this is probably in the top 3 albums... better than Pinkerton for sure.
    Dregen
    Great album, highly reccommend it. For those who dislike older music, this will probably chnage your viewpoint (though the production is a little... meh).