Grow In The Cold review by Supe

• Released: Mar 1, 2006
Supe: Grow In The Cold

Hearing about a Japanese hard rock band, you usually think to yourself, "Oh man, I'm going to have to deal with accents, a language I can't understand, or techno influences", just like you would with any international band. In the case of Supe (pronounced as "shoop"), none of the above apply. Instead, you'll probably be banging your head to these riffs and songs. Their sound is a lot like the hard rock we like to hear. To me, they sound a bit like Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, and maybe a twinge of Seether. But overall, they have a sound that is unique to them, and you're going to like it. One song, "Shade", sounds very similar to the old Hoobastank song "Crawling In The Dark", as far as the guitars go. But the lyrics are great and the drums are spot on. "Naked Kings" opens up with a little bass "diddy" that is low and grungy, but gets you pumped up as the drums count off for a wall of distorted guitar attack. Every song on this 6 song EP sounds like true studio professionalism that more bands need to achieve. I'd give it a 10, if it weren't for that closeness to the Hoobastank song. And if the bass was less muddy. But it still rocks though.

The lyrics are great and the singer, despite whatever assumptions you have, will not sound like what you'd expect. He carries the band on a grungy and hard-attacking vocals, but you can understand every single word and even get pictures as to what he is singing about. "Naked Kings", to me, is about people abusing power, other people, and anything else that you can take advantage of. The delivery of the lyrics is outstanding, and not something you find a lot of now-a-days, with music being swallowed up by crappy emo and rap. These lyrics and the vocalist's style is a fresh splash of water to the face for anyone who loves hard rock, grunge, and other related genres.

Honestly, this is one of the best up-and-coming bands I've heard in a good while. I still listen to a lot of these songs, and if someone stole it, they'd have to face the wrath of "thousands of heavily armed super ninja monkeys" (coined by one of my friends. But seriously, I'd probably whoop their ass, get the CD back, and then anxiously wait for a full CD release from these guys. But I'd definitely buy it again if I had to. Also, I've heard these guys put on a dynamic and energetic show like no other band. While I haven't seen them live, I've seen video clips on youtube, and not many other bands I've seen can compete with 4 people jumping at the same time, landing at the same time, and still jamming, with the music, without a mistake. These guys know how to put on a bare bones live show. Get this EP or buy their songs it is worth every penny.

bassclef527
    I saw them with hed(pe) and Mushroomhead last year, and this is absolutely true. These guys put on an incredible show... and they were opening!