Crime Of The Century Review

9.9
 9.8
review (1) 7 comments vote for this album:
Crime Of The Century Reviewed by: orange_juice, on july 22, 2009

Sound: Crime Of The Century is probably the most unknown album ever that can be called truly amazing. The sound of this album (particularly on an original vinyl copy) just takes you into another world. It is the only album I know that perfectly combines catchy songwriting with the epic darkness of progressive rock. Supertramp's first two albums didn't sell very well, which resulted in the band breaking up. But frontmen Roger Hodgeson and Rick Davies regrouped and reformed Supertramp with new bandmates and got to work on what would be their third album; Crime Of The Century. The first two albums were heavily progressive, while albums after "Crime" went in more of a pop direction. This put the album in a perfect balance of the two ends of the Supertramp spectrum. The album does have its up-tempo lighter songs, such as "Bloody Well Right" and "Dreamer", as well as otherworldly epics like "Asylum" and the title track, "Crime Of The Century". This album sounds like no other. // 10

Lyrics: The Lyrics are very meaningful, and sometimes hard to understand. Some songs such as "School" have an obvious theme while others like the title track are a little harder to figure out. Personally I prefer not to think about the lyrics to deeply, as not knowing quite what they mean adds to the mystic side of the album. They go very well with the sound of the album, but to read them with the music off is an experience in itself. As far as singing skills go, Supertramp is amazing. Roger, the high voice and Rick, the low voice. They alternate singing throughout the album which adds an effect to the sound unique to The Beatles, Pink Floyd, and Supertramp. // 10

Overall Impression: I don't think any of Supertramp's other albums come anywhere close to this. I love their other stuff too but there is just something about Crime Of The Century. Supertramp is not my favourite band; they aren't even in my top 5, but this is my favourite album of all time. I've known it since I was very young and it will most likely always be my favourite. This album isn't for just anyone; you need to have an open mind, and an appriciation for music that isn't the norm. At the same time though, it isn't an "out-of-wack" prog album, it is a work of art. If it were stolen I would get another copy of course, but I would also be glad that one more person is listening to it. // 10

Comments