Ghosts Of Loss review by Swallow the Sun

• Released: Aug 24, 2005
Swallow the Sun: Ghosts Of Loss

Doom metal at its finest. Swallow the Sun is a perfect example of what doom metal bands should be because of the great doomy atmosphere they have in their songs as well as the extremely sad lyrics they have. This album is full of everything doom from clean vocals to the extreme growling of their vocalist Mikko Kotamki and to the most heavy guitar sounds they have it all. The only thing missing is the absence of guitar solos but doom metal is not intended to have solos usually because it might take away the feel and emotion of the song. Anyway this is an excellent album I recommend it to any doom metal fan.

Like I said the lyrics in this album are extremely depressing and I am amazed at how they can write such sad and gloomy lyrics. Whether it being about loss, mourn, etc. This album has it, it even goes as far as to having lyrics about remembering a loved one in the song "Fragile". As for the compliance of the music and lyrics I really feel that the lyrics and music create such a gloomy atmosphere and that's what I would really like to see in doom metal bands. And lastly I think there is no one who can compare with the extreme growl of their vocalist Mikko Kotamki and his clean vocals are also very impressive.

Overall this album is excellent, its full of every bit of emotion and probably can even sadden you. I think the most impressive songs on this album are: "The Giant", "Fragile", "Gloom, Beauty and Despair" and "The Ship". For those who are extreme doom metal fans and like really sad lyrics try out "Gloom, Beauty and Despair" and "The Ship" those 2 are the most sad songs in my opinion. Or for those romantic doom fans try "Fragile" its really amazing on how the lyrics get to you, and the rest of the album is full of ominous atmospheres and alot of gloom which I absolutely love about this album. So go out there and get yourself this album, its really worth the money.

EpiExplorer
    Doom metal at its finest
    Nah, not really, Isole blow these guys out of the water. Still, good band.
    gl.tch
    It's been a while since I listened to StS. Fantastic band though - real soft spot for 'em.
    GuitarHande
    Probably their best album. All of them are great, but the first two are definitely the greatest ones.