Hello Hurricane review by Switchfoot

• Released: Nov 10, 2009
Switchfoot: Hello Hurricane

I discovered Switchfoot by listening to "This Is Home" on a compilations disc. Switchfoot is a great band, and keeps changing its sound. They went from indie to mainstream, and after becoming dissatisfied with this situation, switched back to indie. This album definitely shows a change of sound, and it also shows more use of technology. Hello Hurricane took about 2 years to produce, more than any other Switchfoot album to date, since the band members put out a great deal of songs, and had to reduce 100+ songs to just 12 songs they could die singing. The album is a sonic mixture of soft ballads and rock anthems, from the soft "Enough To Let Me Go" to the catchy "The Sound (John M. Perkins' Blues)". The songs have been featured prominently on TV shows and movies, and have had significant airplay on famous radios, which attests to the quality of the album.

The lyrics, most written by frontman, lead guitarist and singer Jon Foreman and his brother, bass player extraordinaire Tim Foreman, are heartfelt and painfully honest at times. While word choice might be criticized by some, the message delivered by the songs is meaningful, and the songs are one in both lyrics and music. The theme of the album, which is to never give up, is uplifting to the listener and accentuates the positive, while not failing to show living, breathing emotions, which also is a feature of Jon Foreman's singing. Jon Foreman is a highly skilled vocalist, singing both low and high notes with an incredibly crisp quality, going from almost whispering to screaming at different parts of songs. There is nothing more to be wished for.

I am highly impressed with this album. It is better than any other albums I own (as this is my only Switchfoot album to date) and compares admirably with their earlier, popular records. The San Diego quintet, consisting of Jon and Tim Foreman, Chad Butler, Jerome Fontamillas and Drew Shirley, has done an amazing job with this album. As usual, the CD needs listening to get used to the new style, but the more I listen to it, the better it sounds. If the album were stolen/lost, I would buy it again, and maybe go as far as to buy the Collector's Deluxe Edition. Needless to say, all of Switchfoot's albums are more than worth buying.