Nothing Is Sound review by Switchfoot

• Released: Sep 13, 2005
Switchfoot: Nothing Is Sound

I've always loved Switchfoot because they push the boundaries with their sound, they don't settle for a "rock" sound or an "indie" sound, they do whatever they feel is good for each song and I believe that's the way to do it instead of making every song sound the same. I was really looking forward to this album because I got a taste of it live because they made it while on the road and then played the new songs for the audience to test them out. I was excited to hear the studio versions of songs like "Daisy" which had been out for a little while before as an acoustic radio show performance.

Jon Foreman is my favorite lyricist, his words are true and maybe sometimes cliche but they're honest and he writes from what he knows. Asking questions like "Where is my soul?" and "Are there any left who haven't kiss the enemy?" are the greatest things about these songs, I like his socratic method that is in a lot of Switchfoot's songs. I've always looked up to Jon Foreman and I love his voice and the way he sings on certain songs. I like the fact that he always has emotion in his voice, you know that what he is singing is what he really means and that's he's being true.

When Switchfoot makes an album, they make an album. You truly can't find another artist that even compares to Switchfoot. My favorite songs on this CD are "Golden," "Setting Sun," "Politicians" and "The Blues," completely honest songs with words of hope and change. I love that Switchfoot put a song like "Politicians" on this record, even though it is not aimed at politicians, more so at ourselves and how we are, I feel like it's one of the strongest rock songs I've ever heard. When you hear a sound like Switchfoot's, you know right of the bat that there's nothing else like it. Jon Foreman is an incredible singer and man. His words are intelligent, unique, and honest and that's what our lead singers need to be these days; honest. I feel that this is one of the best records of the year.