Nothing Is Sound review by Switchfoot

• Released: Sep 13, 2005
Switchfoot: Nothing Is Sound

Nothing Is Sound is Switchfoot's follow-up album to The Beautiful Letdown, which broke them into the mainstream with singles Dare You To Move and Meant To Live. Nothing Is Sound is a good follow-up to Letdown, sounding much like it. This is both good and bad. It continues Switchfoot's sound that they do well, but does not bring much new to the table. The highlight songs of the album are their two mainstream hits (so far) "Stars" and "We Are One Tonight." Possibly the best thing about this album is that all the heavier songs are extremely catchy and will get stuck in your head for days. "Politicans" was in my head for awhile. In additon to these songs, the album offers slower ballads. Some of these are enjoyable, and others don't really do much. Switchfoot is clearly better with the more upbeat songs. Overall, the album's sound is good, and the order of songs is unique, transitioning from fast to slow songs. It works.

Many people do not know, but Switchfoot can be considered a Christian band, with allusions to God in their music. Their lyrics range in meaning, going from looking at the stars to the efficiency of sex compared to love. Nevertheless, Jonathan Foreman is a great songwriter, and his voice fits with all twelve songs on the album. The words appropriately give the music emotion and Foreman leads the band wonderfully. Overall, some of the better lyrics you'll see these days.

Nothing Is Sound is chapter two of Switchfoot's mainstream era, even though it is their fifth album. Like I said earlier, it is in a sense The Beautiful Letdown Part Two, but it is a great album nevertheless. It's not superspectacular, but it's better than the majority of music you will find out there these days. It's a good album to listen to pretty much anytime, and a good diversity of songs exists that will satisfy a wide variety of listeners. If this album was stolen, I would definitely buy it back, and bitchslap the guy who stole it from me.