The Beautiful Letdown review by Switchfoot

• Released: Feb 25, 2003
Switchfoot: The Beautiful Letdown

Five star. Catchy, flavorful tunes which you find yourself humming constantly. If you have heard 'Meant to Live', you know what I mean. From a guitarists' standpoint, they maintain musical excellence without confusing the listener. In track 7, the title track, they make it clear that they can not only rock, but can also be inordinately suprising. In track 5, rather than complete 4 bars of 4, they cut it down to 3 bars of 4 for part of the song, as if to show listeners that they do have this sort of musical talent.

In this album, Switchfoot shows us all why they have one of the fastest selling cds on Billboard. As well as blowing us all away with their well-phrased music, their lyrics are excellent as well. For example, see track 8, 'Gone'. Rather than go back into another chorus as most other bands would, they choose not to. Instead, they go on a creative tangent, talking about everything and everyone from Elvis to Bono to Al Pacino. Throughout the album, the theme seems to be summed up perfectly in their second track 'This is your life'. In the chorus of this song, Singer Jonathan Foreman states 'This is your life, are you who you want to be?'. Coming from a Christian worldview, they are not forceful or imposing in any way, yet still find the lyrics to get their message across seamlessly in a way that keeps the listener coming back for more.

I was very impressed overall. I also have their 'Learning to Breathe' album, and was delighted by some of the changes they made, as well as some elements they left behind. But when it all comes down to it, Jonathan Foreman's voice is really what sets this band apart.