The Legend Of Chin review by Switchfoot

• Released: Jun 17, 1997
Switchfoot: The Legend Of Chin

Before Switchfoot added two more members to the band, their sound was a lot more traditional and conservative and thus the San Diego trio, as it was at the time, concieved the Legend of Chin. The title has absolutely nothing to do with the lyrics which is a bit disappointing but there are some wierd pictures in the booklet. The earlier Switchfoot material isn't as heavy as the later stuff but even their strictly acoustic arrangements have quite a bit of intrigue. Chem 6A, track one ids my favorite Switchfoot song and it is fun to play on guitar. You is good song as well as Don't Be There being a great way to end a record.

Tim Foreman's vocal style hasn't changed a whole lot since the old days but he sings like a more traditional Adult alternative vocalist on Legend of Chin. His best performances are on You, Chem 6A, Might Hve Ben Hur and Concrete Girl. Tim Foreman sings with a lot of emotion and demonstrates his skill at it on this record. The lyrical themes should have had a more various concept than just a failing person in a dying world and the encouragement to do good on Earth, but it was solid anyway.

The later Switchfoot material is definately better than Chin, that's for sure. The arrangements are very very simplistic on this record and I wish they had been a little more in depth than they were. Still it is an easy album to listen to when you are on the road or if you are into the obscure genre of adult contemporary. This is the way to go if you are like that. I still recommend Beautiful Letdown over this though. The best songs are You, Chem 6A, Concrete Girl, and Don't Be There.

Gerard Way Jr
    "The later Switchfoot material is definately better than Chin, that's for sure." Then how did this get an 8.3? Also lol referring to Tim as lead vocalist.
    LeadSalad182
    I got this cd in a Switchfoot boxset and i couldn't believe how depressing the lyrics are. I mean that's fine and all, but if i want to cry myself to sleep, ill listen to Morrissey and i'll stick with nothing is sound