Vice Verses review by Switchfoot

• Released: Sep 27, 2011
Switchfoot: Vice Verses

"Vice Verse"'s is San Diego natives, Switchfoot's, eighth and latest release. This album has a mixture of techno and the sound Switchfoot released on Hello Hurricane as well as a bit of blues as heard on the second track "The Original" and a lot more of the Pop sound like on the track "The War Inside". Over the years, Switchfoot's sound has evolved dramatically and this new release changed even more becoming more Pop sounding than all the previous sounds which had put them in a league of their own. The slower songs, like "Restless", sound alot like something you would hear on 95.9 The Fish radio station. The more quicker paced songs have a fusion of Blues and the sound from Metric's albums more specifically their latest release "Fantasies". The songs on this album don't vary from each other in sound like the songs on all of the bands previous records. The song "Selling The News" is a new step for Switchfoot though. Jon Foreman speaks the lyrics instead of singing them and the chorus has a "Learning To Breathe" feel. Like the bands first record, "The Legend Of Chin", most the songs after the first couple are all slow, but like I mentioned before, they still sound similar together as well as sounding like songs heard on The Fish radio station.

Once again, Jon Foreman attacks personal, life issues and the problem with society. A couple song titles in this album point back to lines in songs Foreman has previously released, such as "The War Inside" which is a line in "War In My Blood" which was a song on Foreman's compilation with Nickle Creeks front man Sean Walkins, Fiction Family. Another is "Where I Belong" which was a line in the song Switchfoot wrote for "The Chronicles Of Narnia: Prince Caspian" soundtrack titled "This Is Home". None the less, Foreman's brilliance for lyrics still shine through is this album although lyrics aren't as hard hitting and brutal as they used to be. 80% of the songs are about past happenings and stories that can be pointed back to relationships of various kinds. I'm still quite impressed with what Foreman has to say despite the thematic changes.

I wouldn't consider this the best Switchfoot album, but I am happy with it and it is worth purchasing. The band has always had the ability to write brilliant songs, but it sounds like the band is slowing down on the production of ideas. The album is more intimate album than a rock album like these records used to be, but this is all my opinion. I would best recommend that you, the reader, have a listen for yourself and be the judge. Everyone has different opinions and a different taste in music. Not saying to disregard this review but add to it. I personally put this album in the Preview before buying category.

Whtymexican
    I like how everyone says switch foot is a chirstian rock band when they're not. They don't worship in their song and the only reason that people thought that is because the original label they were signed to produced a lot of christian music artists, but switch foot is not a christian rock band.