Barrett review by Syd Barrett

• Released: Nov 14, 1970
Syd Barrett: Barrett

"Barrett," which was released in 1970 a few months after "The Madcap Laughs" is a true classic to all Syd Barrett fans alike. It does not have any of that 'rawness' that "The Madcap Laughs" had (though The Madcap Laughs was a tremendous solo album). It is more organized and mellow with tracks such as "Love Song" and "Wined And Dined." It was the perfect way to close an all too short music career, which kind of makes me sad it was that brief.

01. Baby Lemonade - a standout track and a great, great song. Awesome guitar intro that shows what Syd Barrett could have and would have been if he had stayed off of the acid. 02. Love Song - a wonderful song that is un-syd. A sure classic in the Syd Barrett legacy. 03. Dominoes - possibly the best Syd Barrett song ever. Very disturbing lyrics that linger throughout, making it very hypnotic. A true Syd Barrett song which will forever live, long after Syd is gone. 04. It Is Obvious - my favorite song by Syd. A flowing, mind boggling song. It always makes me wonder what he means when he uses the odd lyrical phrases, such as, "wood on quarry stood, each of us crying, the velvet curtain of gray marked the blanket where sparows play". It does'nt get much better than this. 06. Rats - an odd song. A great intro and an even better outro. A typical Syd Barrett track. 07. Maisie - a bluesy riff to open, but eventually turns into madness when Syd starts talking and chatting with himself. 08. Gigolo Aunt - in my top 3 of favorite Syd Barrett solo songs. A wonderful tune to listen to when feeling down. A standout track without question. A happy, joyous song. 09. Waving My Arms In The Air - another happy song, just like Gigolo Aunt. It's a wonderful, wonderful song, but when it eventually segues into "I Never Lied To You", it gets even better. 10. I Never Lied To You - the best part of this track is the piano-driven Rick Wright who totally makes this song worthwhile. Some of the best lyrics Syd ever came up with in my opinion. 11. Wined And Dined - another standout track. A very relaxing, psychedelic tune that reminds me of summer and how the wind feels just before it starts to rain. 12. Wolfpack - this is supposedly Syd's favorite song that he made during his solo career and I really cant blame him for liking it so much because it is truly, good. 13. Effervescing Elephant - a short, but sweet song. One of Syd's earliest, written when he was just a teen. Very cool and whimsy. A fan favorite.

This is one of the greatest albums ever released in my opinion. It sums Syd Barrett up on tracks such as "Baby Lemonade," "Wined And Dined" and "Dominoes" because they contain his startingly original psychedelic feel. If it were stolen from me, I would buy it again for sure. It relates to "The Madcap Laughs" in a sense, but it is a one-of-a-kind album. The standouts are, "Dominoes," "Baby Lemonade," "Gigolo Aunt" and "Wolfpack" but every song is key in making this album what it is, outstanding.

gilmourgroupie
    Finally a fellow barret fan, althoughIi love gilmour just as much. A jolly good review and a good guide for those who don't own syd's stuff.
    JC 2K3
    I've heard Piper at the Gates of Dawn, but didn't actually kow BArrett had solo stuff, must check this out.
    7thhell
    Thinks for the info. Does anybody out there know how Syd Barret is doing these days?
    7thhell
    Thinks for the info. Does anybody out there know how Syd Barret is doing these days.
    Dexterity
    Syd Barret is and old man still living at his mother's old house I believe. He keeps to himself and like to be left alone.
    Inahrima
    Barrett today According to a 2005 profile by his biographer Tim Willis, Barrett ? who has reverted to using his original name of Roger ? continues to live in his late mother's semi-detached home in Cambridge, and has returned to his original art-form of painting, creating large abstract canvases. He is also said to be an avid gardener. His main point of contact with the outside world is his sister, Rosemary, who lives nearby. While reclusive, it is his physical health that now prompts most concern, being afflicted with stomach ulcers and B-type diabetes. Although Barrett has not appeared or spoken in public since the mid-1970s, time has done little to diminish interest in his life and work; reporters and fans still travel to Cambridge to seek him out, despite his attempts to live a quiet life, and many photos from the 1980s to the present of Barrett being annoyed by paparazzi when walking or biking to the store have been published in various places. A planned screen biography entitled "Crazy Diamond," which was to have been produced by Ridley Scott and directed by former Pink Floyd collaborator Peter Medak from a script by Ted Shuttleworth, ran into legal and rights issues and has been shelved indefinitely.
    goatman
    very interesting, i wonder has any of his painting been commercially released?
    wkpfplayer
    I have heard that Syd (Roger) is no better. Still lives with his mum in Cambridge. Essentially gone for all practical purposes. Very sad, unfortuneately.