Sydney Review

9.9
 9.7
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Sydney Reviewed by: DarkDallasNight, on august 20, 2007

Sound: From Burlington, Ontario, Sydney's self titled debut album is a marvelous release from another incredible band from Canada. Their sound is an eclectic mixture of the typical emo lead vocals backed up by the harmonization of backing vocals sung by their bassist and the incredible hardcore/metalcore vocals provided by their talented drummer. Basically their sound is a combination of emo/posthardcore/and punk. The drumming on this CD is suburb and is reminiscent of the sound of Travis Barker, Paul Kohler, and with a hint of Lars Ulrich. The rhythm and lead guitar is equally as good and they have a lot of good breakdowns and bridges. My favorite part of the album is the bass lines because they so catchy and they are so beautifully written, the basslines are really audible. In essence, these guys are extermely good musicians and some bands just have a good guitarist or drummer but this band has all the essential parts which makes this bands music so superior. // 10

Lyrics: Before I have anything positive to say, I must have to admit that on 1/3rd of the CD I could hardly understand what Scott (lead vocals) was singing about before I read the lyrics, because of his unqiue singing style, but even though I couldn't understand what he was saying, it was still catchy but after I read the lyrics and listened to the CD a few more times I finally caught the words Scott was singing and that was when I realized how good the lyrics are on this album. The lyrics seems to be inspired by experiences dealt by Scott and their bassist Anto so in essence "its all real and not manufactured". There's even a spoken word section in the song "End Transmission" which really highlights Scott's writing abilities and the band's musical abilities. My favorite songs on this album "End Transmission", "Mationaire", "Get to the Chopper", and "Worth the Drive to Action" are the songs in which Anto is harmonzing Scott and in which Kyle is screaming the screeching hardcore screams in the bridges and breakdowns. In essence, Scott has a really catchy voice; Anto has the perfect backing vocals; and Kyle has a hardcore scream, that resembles Shane Told (Silverstein) and Alex V. (Atreyu), and his screaming abilities are highlighted in "End Transmission" in which he screams in the fashion of the typical hardcore to metalcore scream backed by Scott's screamo voice. // 9

Overall Impression: I can't really compare this band to a lot of artist because I find them to be such unique band and I prefer not comparing bands to other bands because it's too subjective. As I mentioned earlier, the most impressive songs are the songs in which Scott and Anto equally sing in but songs like "Juberts Path of Destruction" are really good even though Anto may have little or no vocals in them. I love the album art as well, it's like a Silverstein CD cover, a nice work of art. If it were stolen/lost, I would definitely purchase this CD again because this is like one of the few bands that I have not lost interest in. After listening to this band since they debuted in 2005, I can honestly say that this is a really good CD and you guys should really get it (you can download three of the songs from their purevolume to get a taste of the cd). I wish I reviewed this CD earlier (like a year earliers) because their new CD is about to drop in a few months but definately get this CD before you get the new one because this is one of those cds where you go "wow, I hope their new stuff wont suck." // 10

Comments