When We Were Safe Review

Sydney: When We Were Safe
Release Date: Oct 16, 2007
Label: Black Box Canada
Genres: Rock
"When We Were Safe" is suppose to chronicle the challenges that Sydney faced over the last two years, which includes being dropped from a major record deal.
 8.2
 8.3
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
When We Were Safe Reviewed by: DarkDallasNight, on july 03, 2008

Sound: Sydney has always impressed me with nothing more than their musicianship. Like the drums and bass, having good musicians in a band is equivalent to the backbone in the human body; it's the life blood that keeps the band going and it is what defines their music. I want to say that I am madly in love with this album, but the album was a little disappointing considering that it took about 2 years for this CD to come out. "When We Were Safe" is suppose to chronicle the challenges that Sydney faced over the last two years, which includes being dropped from a major record deal but I didn't really get the feeling when I listened to this cd. What was really disappointing about this CD was the fact that a majority of the songs on this album were repetitive in the sense they have abandoned the musical shifts that was characteristic of the last album. The songs on this album are all about 3-4 minutes long and they stay on the same tempo the entire time. The bass on this album is totally inaudible which pisses me off because I love hearing anto's bass parts. The drumming on the CD is good as usual but it wasn't as dynamic as it was on the last album. It seemed as if Kyle was drumming as quick as possible and that was basically it, reminiscent to what Paul Kohler did on "Arrivals And Departures". I also disliked the production on this cd, it seemed underdone and a lot of the guitar riffs on this album was a little unlike what I have previously heard from Sydney. // 8

Lyrics: I want to say that the lyrics on this album shows how much Sydney has grown in the past few years, but I did not really enjoy the lyrics on this album too much. Scott sounds unusually more wussy on this album when compared to the last and Anto's backing vocals have taken a less prominent role as this CD seemed to revolve more around Scott's vocals, which was disappointing because the dual vocals made their album really nice to listen to. Scott screams a lot on this CD (Kyle doesn't which sucks) and it was pretty good because I have always considered Sydney to be a Post Hardcore band. Overall, I felt that the songs on this CD could have been a lot better if they didn't stray as much as they did from what they did on their last album. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I must say that this CD is really disappointing and basically the playback value of the entire CD is like 3-4 times before it gets old. I only listen to like 3 songs on this album, but I still love Sydney. This CD's greatest flaw is the fact that they don't really sound like what they used to sound like. I know bands mature and stuff but I rather listen to the "immature" Sydney if this is what Sydney is going to sound like from now on. It's kind of like listening to Metallica's Ride The Lighting and then listening to Reload, that's all I got to say. // 9

Comments